SoCal *Splash* Pool

:flower: Dig Update: Received word from PB 10/14/20 that dig will begin mid-next week! Two days later the doorbell rang . . . it was an electrician to install our electrical sub-panel! His work looks good, but he said it was a "big job"and will be back to finish it later. Building has officially begun! (I think) :LOL:
I'm diggin' it! :party:

• Haha
Reactions: Girija
Progress, albeit slow, continues . . .
The electrician came out and finished the sub-panel installation yesterday :thumleft: AND we have a TENTATIVE excavation date for TOMORROW! We'll receive confirmation (or a reschedule date) later this afternoon. Taking lots of pictures of dirt and torn up yard. :)
Also, after three months (and 1,000 years of anguish) we FINALLY made our tile selection:
Fjord Silent Random Block for raised wall and spa top and
6x6 Cascade Peak for waterline
EDIT: NEW TILE SELECTION MADE IN 2021. (Bound to happen when I have months to ponder!) :LOL:

Attachments

• Yard before.jpg
    Yard before.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 75
  • 6x6 Peak Tile.png
    6x6 Peak Tile.png
    33 KB · Views: 64
  • Silent Fjord Random Block.jpg
    Silent Fjord Random Block.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Well... OK... I hate to see your faux pool go, but I suppose ya gotta do what ya gotta do. There will always be pictures, I guess... 😢

Yes, it will be sad to see it go . . . It's grown on me. I wonder if I'll want it back once the pool's finished??? :unsure:
No chlorine or acid, no brushing or vacuuming, no ballooned water bills or electric bills. You're going to miss it. It's not too late!! 🤪

• Haha
It's very common to decorate as you have. I might have gone with just one of those tiles throughout, for the same reason my kitchen backsplash is the countertop material. I don't like competing patterns next to each other. But that's just me.

Depending on the spa design, they might need that 1" tile to make curves and angles work out, so using bigger tile everywhere is not always an option.

Don't worry about me, I'll still come over for a swim no matter what you end up with!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool doesn't have any tile, and this material is used for the water's edge and step markers, same-same. I didn't pick this, the previous owner did, but their tastes and mine just happened to be a perfect match. Can't get much more organic than this. Just some insight into my sense of "pool style" so treat my "critiques" accordingly...

steps 3.jpg

LOVE your picks!!!

Now something else to think about..........what color grout? Ask to borrow the grout sticks and bring them home to see how the different colors work in your yard. White will make each tile pop where a gray will help them blend together more. Both are VERY pretty!

6x6 tile-you have another job (But KIM LOL). When the box gets there open them up and go through all of the tiles. There are going to be some extra pretty ones. You will want them on the sight line area when you walk out to the pool. Then there will be some ugly ones............hide these so they don't get used. Now if you want to go an extra step you can even sort them out how you want them laid out in your pool. We had one build where they put all of the light ones together and all of the dark ones together....it was butt ugly! It had to be redone. Now most of them don't have that problem but................you can avoid it by a little effort ahead of time. (Yeah I have control issues LOL)

Kim:kim:

It's very common to decorate as you have. I might have gone with just one of those tiles throughout, for the same reason my kitchen backsplash is the countertop material. I don't like competing patterns next to each other. But that's just me.

Depending on the spa design, they might need that 1" tile to make curves and angles work out, so using bigger tile everywhere is not always an option.

Don't worry about me, I'll still come over for a swim no matter what you end up with!!
I'm with you! I didn't want competing patterns either. The 6x6 looks pretty "uniform" in person. We received 5 different samples (different lots and times) and they all look pretty much the same. They are MUCH lighter in person and without variation, so there will (should) be no competing patterns. 🤗

I found an older picture of the cardboard wall with our selected tile. The 6x6 is pretty uniform . . . (Unable to send tile close-up b/c "file too large to send."

Attachments

• Wall w:tile.jpg
    Wall w:tile.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 54
With better images and more time, I could do a better job of this for you. Not sure if this is helpful at all. Of course the patterns won't repeat like this, but if you squint you can get a general sense.

Wall w_tile.01.jpg

Reactions: allidb85
Oh, keep in mind that on a still day, the water is going to reflect that wall, so you're going to see twice as much of it.

If you're putting those two tiles else-wise, let me know where they each go.

By the way, when I mentioned competing patterns, I was talking about the two different tile selections competing with each other, especially if placed next to each other, not the variations of the individual tiles (though that is a consideration as well)...

Duh, I just noticed your avatar has the tile in place. Is that not enough to go on? If you post a larger version of that (have you?), I can place the pool in your yard for you...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.