Soake Pools: Precast cement/tile pools out of NH. Any experience?

TechieTechie

Jun 4, 2020
Southern Great Lakes
Well, have an offer on a house, and the yard might fit a plunge pool rather nicely. I like deep pools (for endless wave style swimming)....and in such a small pool I don't want a lot of steps or ledges. I had been focused on fiberglass, but ran across an interesting concept: Precast cement/tile pools, built by Soake Pool in NH. Not sure how I'd get one to OH, but that's a different problem.

Anyone heard of or have them? They look beautiful.

Soake Pools

According to the advanced search options, you are the only mention of that company here, so far. But the good news is their website says they come pre-built AND delivered. Sure maybe it will cost a bit more to deliver it to Ohio, but they will clearly handle that.

They were just on This Old House last week! You can Google the episode..it’s season 42 episode 11.

I think they saidthe one in the show was $30k delivered and “installed” minus plumbing and electrical and it weighed 26,000lbs!

They were just on This Old House last week! You can Google the episode..it’s season 42 episode 11.

I think they saidthe one in the show was $30k delivered and “installed” minus plumbing and electrical and it weighed 26,000lbs!

Headbanger, thank you for this. Very helpful. I asked them a series of questions and their responses are quite reassuring:
  • Use of rebar for structural integrity? "Yes, we do. Our pools have a more complex rebar grid than typical pools. Our designs have approval from engineering firms"
  • Why a recommendation for a saltwater system since saltwater can erode concrete? "Our pools are a monolithic pour (no seams)--walls 4" thick. We also use an additive in our concrete to reinforce its strength. Our pools use a Saltwater Pack to generate a small amount of chlorine".
  • Use of valves to release groundwater pressure (to prevent 'popping)? "In the case of a pool that is being installed close to water or if there is a lot of ground water on a property, yes, we can install a manual relief valve".
  • Shipping to OH? "For deliveries outside of New England, our pools are delivered on a flatbed truck and a crane would be hired to lift it to its prepared site. I would estimate shipping to OH to be about $2800"
Not bad. Still need to dig into whether saltwater is okay in a fully tiled pool....but this is a concept I can definitely get behind. They even have a small precast bench and stairs for me and the pup!

It’s a pretty neat idea amazing how much those things weigh and how they can ship them....plus I grew up 10 minutes from where they are in Pembroke NH.

It’s a pretty neat idea amazing how much those things weigh and how they can ship them....plus I grew up 10 minutes from where they are in Pembroke NH.

Isn't it, though? How many homes are prefab and/or have prefab roof trusses? If the quality is there (and you like the size), it's almost a no brainer, IMHO. When the time is right, I may need to road trip back to NE to see some of these in person. :)

Why a recommendation for a saltwater system since saltwater can erode concrete
Pretty sure you are thinking rock salt on a concrete sidewalk/drive way. Sea water which is still 10X the salt content of your pool would take a lifetime or more to damage the walls. Less if they had rebar in them, but still way longer than you would care.

Think of all the concrete bridge supports built on the coasts or the ones that run miles long through the Florida keys. Some of them have the sea bashing them at high tide without a care in the world.

Reactions: TechieTechie
Saltwater if fine for a complete tile install, I am doing one.. Most of your commercial pools are fully tiled and some use SWG for chlorine... Most normal pools are saltwater pools anyway, after 1 year the salt content is probably over 1500 ppm...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did anyone end up getting a Soake Pool? I just came across them online today. I love the idea of being able to use it year round. I live in Wisconsin. I know these are built with winters in mind. Does anyone have any information on heating costs? Or how well they hold up (do we have to be concerned with ground freezing and cracking the concrete or affecting the tiles)? I don't think there are any experienced installers in my area. I wonder if any pool company would be able to install?

I saw the install of it and it looked good. They used ridgid insulation around the shell and an autocover. Not a bad option if you want a small pool amd are in am expensive build area. Large concrete septic tanks make good shells that you can tile amd turn into plunge pools. That's where this all started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.