So this just happened....

Good one B! Put a 6 behind that 5 and you will have my current age!

Which side of the 5?.......Just to be clear ya' know!

Woody...............behind means after!!!

LOL on the algae stories with the kids! All of the teachers have an "About me" board. On mine is a picture of the house and pool so they know I have a pool. They all ask to come swim in it LOL nope babies BUT you can swim in the wading pools we use for water day!

Of all the things I have learned about on this site since my pool was finished a few months back -- the existence of these robots is the one thing I most wish I had known about. It never even entered my mind to discuss with my PB what type of cleaner/sweep to use, I just told him to get whatever he recommended. My Pentair Rebel is fine and works great... but now I want a robot :-(

Of all the things I have learned about on this site since my pool was finished a few months back -- the existence of these robots is the one thing I most wish I had known about. It never even entered my mind to discuss with my PB what type of cleaner/sweep to use, I just told him to get whatever he recommended. My Pentair Rebel is fine and works great... but now I want a robot :-(

Few pool builders offer robots, especially Dolphins, as part of their build. There’s very little profit margin (or none at all) to be made. By contrast, if you’re a PB who uses Pentair equipment, then getting a cleaner through them offers some payback in both lower cost for the builder (which he mostly pockets) and end-of-year sales bonuses (aka, kick-back to the dealer for pushing lots of product).

But, in general, with all the stress and bank account blood-letting that occurs during a pool build, you can hardly blame anyone for just going with what the builder says is fine for their pool. He supposedly the “expert”, right?

Few pool builders offer robots, especially Dolphins, as part of their build. There’s very little profit margin (or none at all) to be made. By contrast, if you’re a PB who uses Pentair equipment, then getting a cleaner through them offers some payback in both lower cost for the builder (which he mostly pockets) and end-of-year sales bonuses (aka, kick-back to the dealer for pushing lots of product).

But, in general, with all the stress and bank account blood-letting that occurs during a pool build, you can hardly blame anyone for just going with what the builder says is fine for their pool. He supposedly the “expert”, right?

Well... my pool was technically an owner-build. The PB I refer to is a friend of mine, and I got everything at his cost directly from his suppliers, then he got a fixed percentage of the total spend as a consultant for handling the design, and managing the construction and all his subs. So he would have actually made more by selling me a more expensive robot. His primary business is doing pool repairs for home warranty companies, so he see *a lot* of failed equipment out there. My guess is he was just setting me up with what is in his opinion the most dummy-proof reliable equipment while trying to keep my costs down. So I can't really blame him, just wish I had known about this site and researched the toys beforehand.

422cf9f6bdcb72c7619b53096838b590.jpg

I'm stoked!! Looking forward to setting it up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoked??
You have been away from the East Coast too long...

It was so nice of Mr T to end his cycle up here -

87A43F61-53DB-47B7-BAC7-1AADF1DEF8B2.jpg

I think this is the 2nd time in two years that this has ever happened...;)

I'm waiting for someone to make one that is cordless, and can climb out of the pool and go back to its charging dock all on its own. Maybe even empty its own basket :)

Or does this already exist if you have the $$$ ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm waiting for someone to make one that is cordless, and can climb out of the pool and go back to its charging dock all on its own. Maybe even empty its own basket :)

Or does this already exist if you have the $$$ ?

A few years back Dolphin had a “cordless” model called the Liberty that used a floating Li-ion battery tethered to the bot. The problem was that battery could only hold enough charge for a 1 hour cycle (or a 90min cycle under the right conditions). The battery packs also died frequently in the field. They discontinued the line because it was just too much of a headache and it made customers mad. It was also very expensive costing more than the highest priced corded unit in the line.

My guess is your Roomba style pool bot would meet a similar fate.

A few years back Dolphin had a “cordless” model called the Liberty that used a floating Li-ion battery tethered to the bot. The problem was that battery could only hold enough charge for a 1 hour cycle (or a 90min cycle under the right conditions). The battery packs also died frequently in the field. They discontinued the line because it was just too much of a headache and it made customers mad. It was also very expensive costing more than the highest priced corded unit in the line.

My guess is your Roomba style pool bot would meet a similar fate.

Hmmm... I feel like if I can have a waterproof iPhone, I should be able to have a waterproof Roomba too. Elon Musk needs to get on this!!!

You know, I bet in a few years we see something like that. As they advance more technology wise with Li-ion batteries, it’s not out of the question to see something that can return to base for recharging.

And the additional not-a-flamethrower attachment will be really cool.....

Just in from Maytronics US Customer Support -

Hello, Matthew -
We have found that often the solution to this problem is to Turn Off the Bluetooth and enter SETTINGS and activate the Bluetooth again manually.This phenomenon occurs due to the Apple update: version IOS 11.

Please let us know if this is successful.

Best Regards -
MTUS Support

I’ve been having intermittent Bluetooth connectivity issues where my phone will not connect to the power supply. Sometimes shutting down the phone works but sometimes I have to delete and reinstall the MyDolphin App. So it looks like something changed in and around the iOS 11 update that is causing these issues. I sure hope Maytronics puts out a fix because telling people to cycle their phones Bluetooth power is, being as charitable as possible, a band-aid....

Just in from Maytronics US Customer Support -

I’ve been having intermittent Bluetooth connectivity issues where my phone will not connect to the power supply. Sometimes shutting down the phone works but sometimes I have to delete and reinstall the MyDolphin App. So it looks like something changed in and around the iOS 11 update that is causing these issues. I sure hope Maytronics puts out a fix because telling people to cycle their phones Bluetooth power is, being as charitable as possible, a band-aid....

Mine is great with iOS 12

8plus -

I have a handful of dolphins up to 24 months old
I300 aka 30i and a couple t55 or whatever they are called now.

Again, I think oldest of these beaters is about 2 yrs

The shop has no problem either connecting to my bot which then led me to delete the app and reinstall. That worked. But then it didn’t work again. It’s very intermittent and seems to have a lot to do with what other apps are running and how Bluetooth connections are handled. As I said in the other post on robots, it’s very strange that they chose not to use paired connection with persistent Bluetooth properties stored on the phone. The Bluetooth connection is ad-hoc and that’s not a very secure or persistent way to pair devices.

I think Maytronics needs to do a much better job on this.....maybe when you’re having beers with them at the conference in Atalantic City you can tell them that I’m upset.... :laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.