So lost- total newbie... need help!

larkruiz

Jun 8, 2023
IL
Hi! First time ever owning a pool. Round 15'X42 above ground vinyl. Just filled it up with hose house water. Ph reads 7.7, but TA reads 250. I went to the pool store to get the water tested and they recommended adding 10lbs of dry acid???!! That seems like a CRAAAZY amount of dry acid. Plus, won't the HP level drop drastically? And they said to add 1lbs at a time and wait 3-4 hrs before adding more. There's gotta be a better, easier, and faster way. Please help!

Welcome to TFP.
TA and pH are just 2 components of balancing your pool water.
It is best to keep your pH in the 7’s and over time your TA will slowly decline. Please read Managing pH and Total Alkalinity - Further Reading
Also dry acid has some specific uses but we prefer Muriatic Acid to adjust pH and TA.

It is also important to measure FC and CC and CYA
How do you plan to sanitize your pool? We would recommend only using Liquid Chlorine and stay away from pucks.
Please read
Pool Care Basics

Thank you so much for your response! I'm only using liquid chlorine. So, a follow up question... as it stands, the water has only been treated with 2.5 cups of liquid chlorine. Should I just leave the TA alone even though it's at 250? Will it come down on its own?

Also, do not use dry acid to reduce pH. Use muriatic acid. Dry adds sulphates...no bueno for el poolo.

Welcome to TFP!!

Get your own kit and manage your pool, don't let the pool store manage your pool. (Ask me why). Link-->Test Kits Compared

Start here. Link-->Pool Care Basics

Always follow this. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Why TFP??? Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Where are you in IL? My family is all from just west of Pontiac!

Sincerely,
PoolStored

Also, do not use dry acid to reduce pH. Use muriatic acid. Dry adds sulphates...no bueno for el poolo.

Welcome to TFP!!

Get your own kit and manage your pool, don't let the pool store manage your pool. (Ask me why). Link-->Test Kits Compared

Start here. Link-->Pool Care Basics

Always follow this. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Why TFP??? Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Where are you in IL? My family is all from just west of Pontiac!

Sincerely,
PoolStored
Thank you so much for the tips! I'll be checking out the links and I'm returning the dry acid tomorrow! I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thank you so much for your response! I'm only using liquid chlorine. So, a follow up question... as it stands, the water has only been treated with 2.5 cups of liquid chlorine. Should I just leave the TA alone even though it's at 250? Will it come down on its own?
At TFP we follow 2 main cornerstones for the methodology - first do your own testing - so purchase a recommended test kit and second we follow the FC/CYA Levels. So right now I would add about a quart of LC to raise the FC to just over 5ppm. I assumed your pool is approximately 4600 gals and using 10% LC.
Continue to add a half quart a day of LC to maintain your FC at 5ppm. Then when you receive your test kit you can post a full set of data.

Reactions: larkruiz
At TFP we follow 2 main cornerstones for the methodology - first do your own testing - so purchase a recommended test kit and second we follow the FC/CYA Levels. So right now I would add about a quart of LC to raise the FC to just over 5ppm. I assumed your pool is approximately 4600 gals and using 10% LC.
Continue to add a half quart a day of LC to maintain your FC at 5ppm. Then when you receive your test kit you can post a full set of data.
Will do! Thanks!

Reactions: HermanTX
Will do! Thanks!
Ok guys... like I said... total newbie! My pool was up for 3 days, and now I'm afraid it's tptally done for. We used cement blocks to level it, and unfortunately, we didn't realize the blo ks were a little too far into the actual lining of the pool. So, kids got in today, and one of the kids stepped on the one brick, which caused enough pressure to cause a tear. And it's a big tear, like 2 inches. I ran to menards and got flex tape. The tape didn't hold too well under water, and because of the location of the tear, I couldn't do much to stop the leak even when taping both inside and outside of the pool. Is it game over? I'm so sad... I cried 😢.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sooooo sorry. Some of our users have been successful with repairs. Some, not so much. It is likely a draw on success. (50/50).

In EITHER case (new liner or repair), you will need to fix the blocks so they don't impinge the pool.

If you decide to repair, they make a Patch Kit for Vinyl pools. It is clear plastic and includes the glue to apply it. The material HAS to be clean and dry (Drain in order).....that's the single thing that is most important. Next most important is to be sure to get the edges and the corners glued well. I would cut the patching material rounded so there are no corners to deal with. I would make this a 3 layer patch meaning your first will cover It, your second is bigger than first and so on. With this being such a big tear, I'd do the same on the outside bottom of the pool too.

Let's see what @Casey and @Mdragger88 have to say...

Reactions: dBsooner
Ok guys... like I said... total newbie! My pool was up for 3 days, and now I'm afraid it's tptally done for. We used cement blocks to level it, and unfortunately, we didn't realize the blo ks were a little too far into the actual lining of the pool. So, kids got in today, and one of the kids stepped on the one brick, which caused enough pressure to cause a tear. And it's a big tear, like 2 inches. I ran to menards and got flex tape. The tape didn't hold too well under water, and because of the location of the tear, I couldn't do much to stop the leak even when taping both inside and outside of the pool. Is it game over? I'm so sad... I cried 😢.
Oh no!! That's so sad! I'm so sorry this happened! :(( It's okay and has happened to lots.

Good news and bad news. You MIGHT be able to repair it. But I don't think you'll want to, with the tear being at the bottom especially. The vinyl liner is the structure holding all that water in. 4600 gallons = 38,389 pounds (almost 20 tons) of water. If that tear were to be "repaired" and for some reason that repair "failed", it could catastrophically fail creating a vortex / suction taking anyone in the pool with the rushing water. That's a lot of water rushing all at once in a single direction. People have been severely hurt by this, and even killed.

However, if you still want to chance it, you can probably get a big piece of vinyl patch from either a pool store or maybe even Menard's has some. It will have vinyl glue that comes with it that will work underwater. You'll want to cover a lot more area than the existing tear, usually double if not triple. So you'll need a pretty big sheet. You can also use try flex tape on BOTH sides. inside and outside. Or, as I did last year, I covered a couple pin holes with the strongest Gorilla brand tape I could buy. Then still put a small vinyl patch on the inside. You can do this even with some water still in the pool as the vinyl glue can be done underwater. I believe the best one I came across is the "Boxer Adhesives" brand (this is for pinholes, not large tears where structural integrity is compromised). **PART OF EDIT 2**: The best success would be the vinyl repair referred to by @Casey in the linked thread below. The 3 layer method as well.

You may even call the pool manufacturer and beg and plead with them and see what they offer. :)

*EDIT* Adding a link to another thread for reference: How large a tear can be patched on Intex vinyl pools? also ladder recommendations...
*EDIT 2* And a second link to another thread that can reference what @PoolStored is referring to in his post above: 3 inch tear in an Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

Last edited:
I would NOT attempt the vinyl repair underwater.
Thank you for clarifying. Would be almost impossible to repair a tear at the bottom while water is filled. But would be odd to have a tear at the bottom and still have water in it. I meant that it would hold underwater and you could do the repair even with some water still in the pool. Not actually perform the repair underwater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
So sorry about the pool!
Is this an intex/bestway type pool? If so contact the manufacturer and see about a replacement liner. People have been sent replacements in the past.
Also, you mentioned the blocks (I assume you mean pavers) their tops should be flush with the level ground the pool bottom sits on (i.e. buried).
If they are higher than the ground the pool bottom sits on it puts undue stress on the liner & makes a tear at the seams much more likely.

I'm sooooo sorry. Some of our users have been successful with repairs. Some, not so much. It is likely a draw on success. (50/50).

In EITHER case (new liner or repair), you will need to fix the blocks so they don't impinge the pool.

If you decide to repair, they make a Patch Kit for Vinyl pools. It is clear plastic and includes the glue to apply it. The material HAS to be clean and dry (Drain in order).....that's the single thing that is most important. Next most important is to be sure to get the edges and the corners glued well. I would cut the patching material rounded so there are no corners to deal with. I would make this a 3 layer patch meaning your first will cover It, your second is bigger than first and so on. With this being such a big tear, I'd do the same on the outside bottom of the pool too.

Let's see what @Casey and @Mdragger88 have to say...
I will def follow your advise. So bummed :(

If attempting to patch I would go with the 3 patch method listed in this post by casey
2nd patch bigger than the 1st & 3rd patch on the outside. If its on a seam its a no go though. They sell kits at lowes & on amazon.
If you don’t bury the pavers there will be more rips to come so that must also be corrected which involves lowering the water anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.