So frustrated with SLAM

pool123*

Aug 28, 2019
Aldie, VA
We started our first slam 10 days ago. The water was clear then but we had .5 cc's. The cc's went away right away and the water is still clear but we haven't been able to pass the overnight chlorine loss test. In fact, it's getting worse. Most days we have lost 1.5 overnight but last night it was up to 5.5. Are we doing something wrong or should we just keep going? Thank you!

You need to get into all the nooks and crannys where algae can hide and make sure those areas are clean. Ladders, light niches, etc. Scrub everything down and also make sure you are brushing the walls and floor each day. Keep at the SLAM. Also, it may not hurt to verify your CYA to ensure that you are using the proper SLAM FC level.

Some questions that may help us further:
- Was your pool closed over the winter? If so, what chemicals were added at closing (antifreeze, algaecide (which type?), any other products)?
- What chlorine product are you using during the SLAM Process
- Poolmath test results are not linked to your profile. Can you post your current FC and CYA?
- Any other products added to the water since opening?

Some questions that may help us further:
- Was your pool closed over the winter? If so, what chemicals were added at closing (antifreeze, algaecide (which type?), any other products)?
- What chlorine product are you using during the SLAM Process
- Poolmath test results are not linked to your profile. Can you post your current FC and CYA?
- Any other products added to the water since openin
The pool was closed over the winter but unfortunately I have no idea what was added at closing. Our pool was just completed last May and the first closing was included in our contract price and we foolishly let the pool company do their thing. We are using Kemtek. The FC as of this am was 19.5 and CYA before starting the slam was 50 (if I measured correctly- that one's a little tough!). We haven't added anything else since opening and I think the pool company that opened for us only used granulated chlorine to attach some leaf stains.

Light niches are the ones that often get overlooked. Partially because it involves a screw driver to get to it and this time of year, no one want to get in the pool with the water is still FREEZING! 🥶 That and water features.. what there's bugs in my waterfall! yup!
I think we'd probably have a heart attack if we got in that water! Is it hard to open them up though? We have never done it and I have no idea.

You need to get into all the nooks and crannys where algae can hide and make sure those areas are clean. Ladders, light niches, etc. Scrub everything down and also make sure you are brushing the walls and floor each day. Keep at the SLAM. Also, it may not hurt to verify your CYA to ensure that you are using the proper SLAM FC level.
Thank you. My husband is brushing and vacuuming every day and has cleaned all visible areas. Maybe the lights are the problem. So if I wanted to verify my CYA can that be done with the high chlorine that's in it now?

It's possible some residual winter products added by the pool maintenance company are influencing your FC readings. If they are, the process is still the same - SLAM and patience. The light might be an issue, but in a pool so new, it should not have much in it. But still worth checking. Same for a main drain if you have one. Pull the cover and inspect for junk underneath (pump OFF first for safety).

Be careful with the FC testing as consistency is everything. Pull water samples from the same area, and use the 10 ML water sample size: 10 ML water sample, one generous scoop of powder, then count drops from pink to clear and divide in half. Example - 36 drops equals and FC of 18.

I think we'd probably have a heart attack if we got in that water! Is it hard to open them up though? We have never done it and I have no idea.
No its not hard.. and depends on what kind of light niche you have. Its typically one screw and some have the wire coiled up around the light enclosure.. so just pay attention to how its done when you take it apart so you can put it back together.

It's possible some residual winter products added by the pool maintenance company are influencing your FC readings. If they are, the process is still the same - SLAM and patience. The light might be an issue, but in a pool so new, it should not have much in it. But still worth checking. Same for a main drain if you have one. Pull the cover and inspect for junk underneath (pump OFF first for safety).

Be careful with the FC testing as consistency is everything. Pull water samples from the same area, and use the 10 ML water sample size: 10 ML water sample, one generous scoop of powder, then count drops from pink to clear and divide in half. Example - 36 drops equals and FC of 18.
Thank you. We have a local relative who scuba dives so maybe we can convince him to check the lights/drain out for us. :) I didn't realize we needed to be pulling the water from the same spot. Sometimes my husband gets it and sometimes I do so we may not be getting the samples from the same place. We will do that now and keep at it. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A good thing to keep in mind too is that colder temperatures slow how your chlorine works, everything slows down just a little bit. I hope you stick with it I'm sure it'll clear up!
Thanks. We will keep going. My husband has been wanting to quit ("the water is clear so why can't we stop?") and I've been resisting so all of your support will help us stay the course. I just hope it clears soon because we are so exhausted from getting up every day before the sun rises to test the chlorine. :)

You might post your test results and list type of pool etc. losing 5ppm chlorine overnight sounds like it’d be a swamp or there’s testing error.

We will keep going. My husband has been wanting to quit ("the water is clear so why can't we stop?") and I've been resisting so all of your support will help us stay the course
3036AB46-9209-47F0-A88D-BA7715E0A4B0.gif

:kim::kim::kim::kim::kim:

P-o-P. Pool owner patience. Resist the urge to overreact and over correct. :) Stay the course. You’re doin AWESOME

Thanks. We will keep going. My husband has been wanting to quit ("the water is clear so why can't we stop?") and I've been resisting so all of your support will help us stay the course. I just hope it clears soon because we are so exhausted from getting up every day before the sun rises to test the chlorine. :)
Oh I so know what you mean, my husband is so convinced that tfp is crazy even though we got screwed over by the pool people. We literally got into a fight over algaecide. Stay strong, the pool aid works, if you need any proof check out my thread from last year. Almost 20 days of slamming but that pool went from a literal muck pond to Crystal

Oh I so know what you mean, my husband is so convinced that tfp is crazy even though we got screwed over by the pool people. We literally got into a fight over algaecide. Stay strong, the pool aid works, if you need any proof check out my thread from last year. Almost 20 days of slamming but that pool went from a literal muck pond to Crystal
That is very encouraging! We have had similar fights. :) I think he just doesn't feel confident yet since the pool is new and its our first so he's happy to listen to the local "experts". It's hard when the water looks good but I'm insisting there's still a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.