So depressed and frustrated, measuring for a new inground liner is extremely difficult. Thinking about abandoning my pool and just letting it cave in.

watercooled

Apr 24, 2018
Floyds Knobs, IN
I hired a company that agreed to measure based on me buying the liner through them. The guys who measured did it in less than 20 minutes. Literally just slapped the tape measure with no precision at all; this is a concrete wall inground pool so the corners are not laser cut... I noticed a fairly decent sag in the line when the measured the depth. Then the quote came in, they want $7,500 for the GLI liner (40x20' roman with angled corners not rounded) and another $7,000 install fee and of course can't start until next season.

Had a pool company come out and measure, got fairly drastic difference in measurements (off by 1-3inches in places). Ghosted me before giving quote.

I measured, got completely different measurements from the other two guys (again off by 1-2 inches in places).

I found the serial number from the old liner (Merlin) and called the company that installed it in 2010. The drawing doesn't even match my pool properly (they are missing two whole angles in the bottom hopper and measure 7' where I measure 5'. When I called Merlin they claim that's the same liner that's specced to the sheet but I can't figure out how the heck it went in because it has to be stretching as much as 3-4 inches in places. The guy at Merlin was extremely difficult to work with and told me not to trust the drawing but can't even answer why it wouldn't match what's in the pool itself.

Now i'm back to square one, nobody left to help measure and I am doing it myself. Trying to pull measuring reel tape across the pool without sagging is difficult. I can literally pull different strengths and get 15 different measurements. To make matters worse my pool is not perfectly square. One side measures 19' 8 3/4" and the other side is 19' 10". I am honestly thinking about saving about $12k and buying like 3-4 of the absolute cheapest liners with different measurements until I get it right knowing that's just literally going to be thrown away in hopes to actually make progress towards measurements.

This is an absolute nightmare. I replaced my own septic tank and installed a new drain field in a sleet/hail wind storm by myself wearing gym shoes and it was WAY easier than this.

These are fairly highly rated liner replacement companies in your area:

Sounds to me like you need a civil engineering firm that does surveying and has the 3D scanners and GPS based equipment to get you exact details. Not even sure if anyone that does that would help a person with a pool but if you’re running out of options it might be worth a call …

Reactions: kimkats
I am starting to wonder if I am over-thinking this. Gravity plays a role in measuring and unless people have lasers and high tech space age Crud then I feel that whole "it needs to be exact" thing is a myth and BS. Anyone and everyone who has measured from one end of a pool to the other experiences tape measure sag to some degree so by nature there is NO SUCH THING as an exact measurement. I think the trick is to get to the nearest ballpark and go from there. If one side is slightly larger than the other then I take the smaller measurement and call it a day.

That's my plan, that's what i'm going to do. If it works I know I over-exaggerated the issue and i'll bump this is a warning to many other DIYers to not read into all the BS out there. Not a single professional I have seen gets the exact measurement, they slap a tape measure up and say "looks like I got it". I'm measuring a large concrete tub, not trying to make finish cuts on high end cabinetry.

I am starting to wonder if I am over-thinking this. Gravity plays a role in measuring and unless people have lasers and high tech space age Crud then I feel that whole "it needs to be exact" thing is a myth and BS. Anyone and everyone who has measured from one end of a pool to the other experiences tape measure sag to some degree so by nature there is NO SUCH THING as an exact measurement. I think the trick is to get to the nearest ballpark and go from there. If one side is slightly larger than the other then I take the smaller measurement and call it a day.

That's my plan, that's what i'm going to do. If it works I know I over-exaggerated the issue and i'll bump this is a warning to many other DIYers to not read into all the BS out there. Not a single professional I have seen gets the exact measurement, they slap a tape measure up and say "looks like I got it". I'm measuring a large concrete tub, not trying to make finish cuts on high end cabinetry.

If you have a good steel tape (one made for surveying). It has two corrections built into it - temperature and tension. There is a spring loaded grip you use to provide the proper tension to the tape that the tape is calibrated for. You measure the ambient temperature of the air, and apply a measurement correction based on the expansion of contraction of the steel tape. You can get accuracy to 0.01 feet this way, about 1/8" inch.

Haven't see that sort of thing done in decades - not since the price of lasers and total stations came down enough to offset saved labor and accuracy. When I had to take a course on it in college, it was already considered old school, and we learned both that way (Steel tapes and optical theodolites), and with electronic total stations.

Last edited:
Not a single professional I have seen gets the exact measurement
My looploc employee/contractor used a pool pole to steady the tape measure.

He was in and out and very unpleasant to talk to, but it fit right so that's all I cared about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those prices do seem high. I can see the cost of the measure, liner and install being $7500. My liner replacement included, measure, install and also installing new liner track since I was replacing the coping to have pavers installed and that was ~$6500 just as Covid was starting for a rectangluar 20' x 40' pool. The guy measuring took and hour or so and it fit perfect from what I can tell. I also reserved a spot late the previous year the measure took place in later Feburary, and install was early April I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.