Smartpool NC74 Scrubber 60 Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner Mini Review

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
So I ordered the Smartpool NC74 Scrubber 60 Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner after my Dolphin died. 600 dollars for a dolphin that dies in 2 years didn't sit well with me especially when the power supply went at the 2 year and 2 day mark, covered under warranty thankfully and then 3 months later the cable is bad due to a defective swivel. Seems like the motor might be bad too. Anyway, I was never very impressed with the dolphin primal X3/DX3 model. It would barely climb the walls and basically took two cycles to clean the pool. And while cartridge filters are nice, I had to empty them constantly as they hold next to nothing. I guess I was spoiled by the blue dolphin remote cleaner I had previously.

So the smartpool has dual drive which means like the blue diamond remote cleaner, it can actually truly turn itself on the bottom of the pool which makes a world of difference. I'm a little apprehensive about the 4 year warranty as it only covers bumper to bumper the first year and then second year is just motors. 3rd and 4th year are motors only at 50% and 25% which probably won't be used. That means I could be on the hook for the cable and power supply the second year. However unlike dolphin, smartpool made the swivel a separate component and likely the part of the cable that will break is the part in the robot which is much cheaper.

So upon taking it out of the box, I gotta be honest, it feels cheap, it doesn't feel solid like other pool cleaners so we will have to see how long it lasts as far as that goes.

So how does it clean? Its been in the pool about a half hour of a 3 hour cycle and my pool is better than half clean already and this pool hasn't been cleaned in at least 3 weeks or more. That may be nothing to most people, but my pool has trees all around it with leaves falling constantly. The dolphin wold take two cycles as mentioned previously to clean the pool if I was lucky and I've have to empty the cartridges between cycles. Probably should have emptied them before the cycle ended as I think half the cycle it was full. It spend probably 30 percent of the time or more sitting on my main drains stuck while this one spent maybe 30 seconds until it freed itself. It climbs the walls like a pool cleaner should, the dolphin would kind of go up the wall and drive a long it if it made it up the wall.

For 600 dollars including shipping to my door, I think its a steal. Yes it doesn't have a fancy basket to pull out and clean, but the bag actually holds a good amount and frankly is just as easy to clean. Hopefully it is going to last for a bit. Parts are also relatively inexpensive so if I get 3 seasons out of it, its not a bad purchase.

Thanks for posting this thread and keep it updated with as much detail as you can. Robots are only getting more and more common in the pool world and pool owners need as many options as possible. I plan to move to a robot (hopefully this coming season) in lieu of my 3 years old suction cleaner which does, at best, a mediocre job. I've been on the Dolphin website a lot looking at all the models but it's all very confusing with their various product lines and models. I also don't like that they force you to go through their distribution channel as there is exactly ONE dealer in my location that is authorized to service Dolphin cleaners. I prefer to have options, but that's not always possible.

Good post!

First cleaning bag filled up so much it popped off inside cleaner. Had to clean propeller and bag and running again.

EDIT: not sure if the bag popped off because of too much in it or because it was brand new and I just dropped it in without soaking the bag and making sure air bubbles were out. Second run last night I checked, bag about 1/4 to half full and bag still on the lid.

I'm very impressed with the cleaning ability, my pool is now clean. The robot is running again now to get some leaves I brushed off the steps. It seems to get most of the larger leaves that fall from a specific tree out back which the dolphin could never do. I think maybe the new dolphin S series with the wide bottom port might be able to grab those. So the only thing left are the long leave things that I guess come from the palms which I haven't seen any cleaner pickup.

My major concern is still the durability of the thing. You can visibly see that the cord is thinner than comparable aquabot,dolphin, bluediamond etc cleaners and also more flexible allowing it to twist and tangle more. The swivel is much better from a design standpoint then the dolphin swivel. As I said originally, its removable if something goes bad with it saving replacing 200 dollar cables but it also floats at the top in such a way that one part is square and floating at the top so the swivel part is kind of forced to swivel. The swivel actually swivels too although it does take some force. Compare this to the dolphin swivel that was round and 5 times harder to turn then this one. The day I got the dolphin I knew that swivel would never actually work and the only purpose it served was to ruin an otherwise decent cleaner.

Thanks for posting this thread and keep it updated with as much detail as you can. Robots are only getting more and more common in the pool world and pool owners need as many options as possible. I plan to move to a robot (hopefully this coming season) in lieu of my 3 years old suction cleaner which does, at best, a mediocre job. I've been on the Dolphin website a lot looking at all the models but it's all very confusing with their various product lines and models. I also don't like that they force you to go through their distribution channel as there is exactly ONE dealer in my location that is authorized to service Dolphin cleaners. I prefer to have options, but that's not always possible.

Good post!

You should definitely look into a robot unless you have a screen over the pool. I never was one to want to clean my filter every time a cleaner swept up debris but my friend has a screen with hardly anything getting into the pool and a chinese knockoff creepy krauly that works fine.

I can tell you that I owned a Dolphin Advantage years back, that cleaner actually worked okay, nothing broke and I ended up selling it because it needed to use the walls to turn and my pool was rectangle that jutted out in the middle making it difficult for the robot to clean decently. I got a blue diamond remote cleaner for 1350 or so and it was awesome! For 4 months until it broke. Then it was awesome again for 2 months until it broke. Part of that might have been my fault as I took it out of the pool as instructed, but didn't really have a good place to store it out of sunlight. I think the sun hits it, expands the seals, then it goes back in the pool, they contract and bang, dead motor. After a number of repairs, I finally left it in the pool all the time and it worked for a bit although I think the actual remote worked maybe once and then never worked again. It went through at least 3 power supplies as well and I can't count how many motors. I also beta tested the Cobia salt water generating robot for a bit. That broke too. Motors went, pin for the drive sheared off etc. I was beta testing so all the repairs were covered and they said I was doing nothing wrong, but that was a 1500 plus dollar robot that was breaking.

The Cobia robot because it had a salt generator couldn't have two drive motors. It had to kind of pulse the motors to make a lazy 90 degree turn. It worked but nothing like the blue diamond remote with dual drive motors that could just run the motors in opposite directions. The Cobia finally ended beta and died and the cost to replace at the time even with a large discount for beta testing was not feasible so I again ran the blue diamond remote which at this point was out of warranty and on its last legs, I left it in the pool as mentioned above and it worked for a fair little bit. Of course it finally died for good like 3 weeks before we were selling our old house about 2 1/2 years ago.

I was in a scramble and didn't have the money for an expensive pool cleaner so I got the Dolphin Primal X3, basically a private label of the Dolphin DX3/M3 cleaner as it was 600 bucks and climbed the walls. It took about 4 trys but it did finally clean the pool and figured my new pool is much smaller so it should be fine. It did the job okay, but as mentioned above, 2 cycles usually to get it clean which of course is more wear on the robot and the filter space would fill up quick. It also really couldn't turn on the bottom even through they are advertised to do it. It kind of goes forward, backs up and slides a bit to turn. After 2 years it was dead of power supply failure right at warranty. That was replaced and then power cord and it seems like motor went. I can't say I was all that upset as it never worked all that great.

Really long winded story here to say if you get a cleaner, get one with dual motors that can actually turn. That gives you two options. Aquabot/Dolphin/Blue Diamond with dual drive motors approximately 1200 or more or the smart pool for 600 bucks. So you have to decide if that 1200+ robot will last twice as long as the 600 dollar one. My experience, probably not.

I am in the market for a robi too... deciding whether i should get a traditional cleaner or a robo - would really like to get one for no more than $600 but I am in canada and the conversion rate kills us! The robos here are all well over $1000 with many models acutally more than double so it's still cheaper for me to buy in US.

So just to update, the thing is still going strong. I'm pretty impressed as you can visually see this thing isn't constructed as well as other cleaners. That will be my concern in the future although at least parts are reasonably inexpensive. The pool is still very clean though and much cleaner than the dolphin I had before. Does the job as well as the bluediamond I had before for less money although its not as fast as the bluediamond. I would probably buy an extended warranty on it if I did it again or purchase with a credit card that has an extended warranty just for piece of mind. Still based on the 600 dollar price, if it makes it 3 years, I"ll be happy. Even if it breaks at some point it wouldn't be horrible, but only the motors covered after year one which is why probably better to have warranty from squaretrade or whatever. Even if the warranty is 100 something you still can't find a cleaner for this price that does so much. The huge bag is really a plus for me too as the pool gets ridiculous amounts of leaves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just to update, the thing is still going strong. I'm pretty impressed as you can visually see this thing isn't constructed as well as other cleaners. That will be my concern in the future although at least parts are reasonably inexpensive. The pool is still very clean though and much cleaner than the dolphin I had before. Does the job as well as the bluediamond I had before for less money although its not as fast as the bluediamond. I would probably buy an extended warranty on it if I did it again or purchase with a credit card that has an extended warranty just for piece of mind. Still based on the 600 dollar price, if it makes it 3 years, I"ll be happy. Even if it breaks at some point it wouldn't be horrible, but only the motors covered after year one which is why probably better to have warranty from squaretrade or whatever. Even if the warranty is 100 something you still can't find a cleaner for this price that does so much. The huge bag is really a plus for me too as the pool gets ridiculous amounts of leaves.

Now has a problem, went to run yesterday and won't move. Did a little troubleshooting and it appears to work, but only when the filter bag and lid are not attached so it doesn't seem to be the drive motor. I will be in touch with smart pool today.

So to end this right, the cleaner as I posted previously wouldn't move. It turned out that the brushes swelled up from being left in the pool. I replaced them and it worked fine. Of course one of the tracks broke so I replaced those as well and its still going strong. Unfortunately it appears smartpool has discontinued these cleaners. I can without a doubt say that for the money, this was the best cleaner I have owned and I've had a blue diamond remote, and two dolphins before this. This one never broke. It is being retired at this point because more often than not it gets caught on the main drain like most other cleaners seem to do. I am picking up a used Polaris 9550 to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.