Small weird white like deposits

Mart21

Apr 23, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Hi everyone,

We are new pool owners. This is our second season and we opened the pool a week ago. The chemicals seem to be balanced except for CYA. Currently using granular bio guard to bring up the CYA to around 30-40.
We have a 14k gallon SWG pool with a vinyl liner. Hayward 900 aquarite 940 cell. Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump and Pentair TR60LV filter.
Current levels
FC- 3
CC-0
CH- 110
ALK-90
PH-7.4
CYA-10

last season and this season we seem to form these very small white looking things around the pool edges. I apologize if this seems silly but I am really not sure if this is just some debris flying around our neighborhood and entering the pool or if something different is going on. When i pick them up and try to squeeze to crush them nothing happens. The only way I can describe the texture is styrofoam like.This started before I added the Chlorine stabilizer. I am including pictures here.

I also want to ask about the cya levels. I added 28 oz of granular biogusrd to the skimmer slowly yesterday (read many posts on tfp and the majority put in a sock but several major supporters put in the skimmer so I did the latter). Pump has been running 24 hours. I just did the measurements using the Taylor kit, mixing, shaking for 30 seconds and looking down at the tube at waist level and it still shows probably much less than 30 because the dot is very visible. The 10 is from an electronic reader done by our pool guy a week ago and another one done at the store. What am I doing wrong? Wait more to test? Watched several YouTube videos on how to properly take the measurement as well.

All help is appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• B511A348-3AA1-41A9-A8AB-CF4F90514F28.jpeg
    B511A348-3AA1-41A9-A8AB-CF4F90514F28.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 11
  • BA0E46AC-74D2-4F44-B4B8-80631821CD14.jpeg
    BA0E46AC-74D2-4F44-B4B8-80631821CD14.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Except for your water chemistry values you posted I would say they are calcium flakes from your SWCG.
Was the pH and or TA much higher than you show recently?

Reactions: jmikeb
Pretty sure it is calcium. Collect a few and put a drop of muriatic acid on them. If they fizz, that is it.

To keep the flakes to a minimum, always keep your CSI between 0 and -0.3. But even with that, if you let your pH and or TA get very high, the SWCG will shed more flakes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.