Small Washout / Sinkhole / Depression Under Liner in Inground Pool

cmize003

Apr 23, 2020
Virginia
Good afternoon everyone.

New to the community here... Bought a home with an inground pool this time last year that had the original liner (12 yr old) still intact. Pool was not leaking with the old liner but was beginning to tear around the beadlock so we purchased a new liner.

June 1 of 2019 a local company removed the old liner and replaced with a new liner in the same day. I was not present at the time of the replacement so I can not speak on the condition of the side walls and vermiculite bottom. We continued filling the pool with well water for about 5 days before it was completely full (didn't want to go full blast on the well for fear of burning out the pump, or removing too much water too quickly from the reservoir)... Had no issues with the liner all summer until early September 10th when a depression, 1-2 feet long X 1-2 feet wide x 2-4 inches deep, began to form under the liner on the transition from shallow to deep, right against the downslope from the side wall. The company charged me $400 to come out, drain the water to the depression, pull the liner back from the side wall, place a mixture of vermiculite/sand in the depression, "tamp" it down by stepping on the liner, and reseating the liner. This took about 1-2 hours, mainly the time to drain it. About 3 weeks later in early October, the depression came back. The company said "they'll address it in the spring". Spring is now here and they want to charge me again to do the work. Another local family owned company spoke with me over the phone for 10 minutes and told me how to do the repair. I am going to attempt the repair myself by draining it down past the depression, pulling back the liner, try to dig around/remove any soil to determine WHY this has happened twice and then fill in the depression with some sort of concrete. The questions I have are as follows:

WHY this is happening - hoping to gain some insight when I do the repair.

Can I put quikrete in the depression or another time of rigid ready mix concrete - something sturdier that vermiculite? If I put concrete in the hole I have a couple pieces of liner that were left over from the liner replacement and will place the liner piece in between the liner and the concrete to minimize friction or any sharp edges from the concrete. I plan on digging wider than the depression and filling with concrete.

The depression is cosmetic but also has a sharp edge that could tear the liner. I know there is risk with pulling back the liner with it being 1 year old - What do you think my chances of tearing the liner are? Again the depression is close to the sidewall so ideally I could remove the beadlock, and be able to access the depression straight down, without crawling underneath the liner.

The pool is holding water, I have not noticed a leak in the slightest so I don't think one of the return lines is leaking. I do have a large Oak Tree about 50-75 feet away from the edge of the pool that may have old roots that rotted? The depression is about 4-5ft below the earth though.

Overall thoughts on pursuing the repair myself?

Attachments

• Pool Depression.png
    Pool Depression.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 41
HI and sorry we are meeting this way.

I do think you could do it on your own BUT do NOT remove it from the skimmer or any returns. You will never get them back in place.

For safety I would do it with someone else there to keep an eye on you. Do it when it is hot and sunny to keep the liner supple and ready to put back. Do it as fast as you can. Make sure to find a way to keep the whole liner from coming out. You can put pennies in the liner holder or Popsicle sticks to help keep the other parts of the liner in place.

So WHY??? why is it doing this. Show us a pic of what is in that area outside the pool. I would think about digging down as close to the pool as you can get to see if it is really wet there.

Have you had a lot of rain in your area?

We will work on this puzzle until we figure it out. Want to fix the WHY before anything is my thinking.

Thank you for the reply.

I will wait for the warm sunny day to attempt.

We have had quite a bit of rain recently and cannot recall the weather leading up to this occurring in the fall. We do get nor'easters and hurricanes that can dump a lot of rain in a short amount of time.

Attachments

• Pool 1.png
    Pool 1.png
    508.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Pool 2.png
    Pool 2.png
    477.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Pool 3.png
    Pool 3.png
    533.2 KB · Views: 33
After a quick google search on "auto filler" - I do not have one that mounts to the side of the pool nor do I have one integrated into the skimmers. So as far as I can tell, I do not. In addition, I can hear every time the well pump turns on and it only turns on when we use the hose or water inside of the house.

Thank you.

Good job checking. I wanted to make sure you did not have one as that would "hide" any water lose.

I see the skimmer right there or fairly close. Where is the return in that area?

By the way.............You have one of my favorite shaped pools! SO much fun for everyone! Your yard and pool are very pretty as well!

The fact it's on a breakline is strange. My only guess is its something rotting down there. Could be garbage from original house construction and could even be bad soil spot that erodes with water like a vein running thru that spot. Depending on what fittings are near it will determine how hard to repair. Sounds like pool guys did it easily. Make sure its DRY for a while before you drain the pool. And leave as much water as possible. An extra set of hands amd warm summy weather is key. 1 year old liner has plenty of stretch. A concrete patch is no stronger than vermiculite it's the sub base that's moving on you. I would dig it out and replace with gravel or concrete patch the hole then verm over it. You can feather the verm easier anything else will show thru the liner with lights on

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.