East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Superpump housing on my spa pump. I recently upgraded the pump to variable speed (V-green) and notices a few air bubbles in the pump window at slow speed especially. I went to check the drain plugs and the one on the side broke off when I went to remove it. I drilled it out and bought a replacement (actually tried 3 different replacement types) on Amazon. All of the replacements will not get fully tight. They get pretty tight, but when I turn more, the plug gets loose again and can be pulled out. Its like the screw threads are busted. Other than replacing teh housing completely, what are my options? Currently I am running the pump with the plug almost fully tight, and there is no water leaking. However, the bubble issue remains (although there is no guarantee the bubbles are from the drain plug, that is the most likely source from other posts I have read on this site).

If the bubbles are the same before the plug saga that would mean the plug issue isn't adding to the bubbles issue. Just so you know vs pump running on low rpm will accumulate bubbles as you describe and is acceptable to a point. If you bring the speed up after a few minutes the bubbles should mostly disappear but the again I can't know for sure what you have. You can use silicone all around the plug the way it is now which should eliminate the air problem if it's the cause.

For future issues, never drill into the plastic of a pump. A 1/4" plastic pipe plug may tighten better, but wireform's suggestion is good. Use silicone sealant on the plug as a large gasket/O ring. Tighten until firm and the silicone is squeezing out. Smooth it around the plug to form a good seal. Let it cure. Should stop any problem in that area.

For future issues, never drill into the plastic of a pump. A 1/4" plastic pipe plug may tighten better, but wireform's suggestion is good. Use silicone sealant on the plug as a large gasket/O ring. Tighten until firm and the silicone is squeezing out. Smooth it around the plug to form a good seal. Let it cure. Should stop any problem in that area.
So use silicon seal as opposed to silicon lube?

Also, with the head of plug off and stem stuck in pump, how else could I remove other than drilling? This happened on my spa jet pump too. I am afraid it might happen again elsewhere. I have 4 pumps/.8 plugs

So use silicon seal as opposed to silicon lube?

Also, with the head of plug off and stem stuck in pump, how else could I remove other than drilling? This happened on my spa jet pump too. I am afraid it might happen again elsewhere. I have 4 pumps/.8 plugs
Sealant, yes. Lube won't seal anything.
Small screwdriver, heated and pushed into the broken plug. May not even need to heat it depending on the break.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.