Small, Concrete, Non-Threaded Pool Returns

Aug 14, 2018
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello all-

I would like to add one of those cheap little "Grecian" water fountains to my pool, but my pool returns are all too small (and non-threaded) for the standard pool return fittings. They are nothing more than small, smooth openings in the concrete wall- maybe 1/2 - 3/4" wide. Does anyone know what kind of fitting I would have to obtain to be able to connect anything at all to those returns? I have a 22,000 gallon concrete in-ground pool, built in the late 70's to early 80's. I do not know if it has been redone since then, as we are the new home owners.

Thanks for any input!

Susanne

Susanne, can you post a picture of one of the returns?

I'll ask Skippy to take a look at it and try to find a solution. He made us a lovely fountain which cools our pool and just looks nice, so he's kinda handy with plumbing.

Maddie :flower:

Hi Maddie- I hope these help you and Skippy so maybe we can brainstorm this together. As you can see, it's just a pipe recessed into the concrete wall. The largest fitting I have been able to use I can't find another like it. It's 3/4" wide. Non-threaded. What do you think?

Susanne, can you post a picture of one of the returns?

I'll ask Skippy to take a look at it and try to find a solution. He made us a lovely fountain which cools our pool and just looks nice, so he's kinda handy with plumbing.

Attachments

• KUWI1425.jpg
    KUWI1425.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180815_121530.jpg
    20180815_121530.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 103
  • KUWI1432.jpg
    KUWI1432.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 102
Ok, Skippy is online looking....but.. your wall fitting appears to have some sort of locking edge which once probably had "faceplate" type cover. The reason they appear proprietary is cause of those four raised pieces (like my Cuisinart food processor, y'know?). More common now is threaded edges.

We're working on it... in the meantime I've spoken to INYOpools.com and they're going to take a look at your fitting. They are great about knowing the odd and assorted parts

You are both fantastic, thank you! I had actually never noticed those edges before I took the photo. Lol.

Ok, Skippy is online looking....but.. your wall fitting appears to have some sort of locking edge which once probably had "faceplate" type cover. The reason they appear proprietary is cause of those four raised pieces (like my Cuisinart food processor, y'know?). More common now is threaded edges.

We're working on it... in the meantime I've spoken to INYOpools.com and they're going to take a look at your fitting. They are great about knowing the odd and assorted parts

I am soooo sorry no one seems to know what type/brand of return that is. Inyopools said they'd never seen any return like that before. If you can find anything to suggest a brand it would be helpful.

I'm still keeping my eyes open, k?

It's all good. It's actually pretty typical of my luck that I have the ONE type of pool return that no one else has ever seen. LOL! Thank you all so much for looking!

I am soooo sorry no one seems to know what type/brand of return that is. Inyopools said they'd never seen any return like that before. If you can find anything to suggest a brand it would be helpful.

I'm still keeping my eyes open, k?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! We have three. Two in the shallow end, one in the deep end.

How many of these in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For a reversible connection, have you tried a smaller diameter pipe with a rubber gasket, pushed into the return? Or just an appropriately sized rubber hose? It shouldnt have to be a 100% water-tight seal. Be careful, though, those old PVC pipes could be a little brittle.

I've seen a lot of '60s pools with those small diameter (1/2" or 3/4") returns flush with the pool wall and no fittings.

Yes, that's my next step. Was just hoping to find something already made. My water fountain is working at the moment- I just need to plug up ONE more return, and I'll be OK. Then the waterfall I bought can go into one of the other returns, with my own custom made connections. Thanks all!

For a reversible connection, have you tried a smaller diameter pipe with a rubber gasket, pushed into the return? Or just an appropriately sized rubber hose? It shouldnt have to be a 100% water-tight seal. Be careful, though, those old PVC pipes could be a little brittle.

I've seen a lot of '60s pools with those small diameter (1/2" or 3/4") returns flush with the pool wall and no fittings.

I imagine Susanne only wants the male fitting (if that is the white side of your link's pic) which she can then use to build out from with small PVC for her desired fountain, right?

Great job locating this, Kadavis!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.