Small above ground pool...please help a brand new beginner. :)

stephaniebeto

May 10, 2020
Tucson, AZ
We've had 2 or 3 weeks of 100 degree days already. No city pools, no Y, so I bought a pool and now I'm freaking out a little because I know nothing about pool chemicals.
The pool came with filter attachments for a pump, but no pump, so I did not attach the filter hoses and parts. I just put all 3 plugs in the pool and we filled it. I have a skimmer vacuum thing that came with the pool that I will plan to use everyday.
On hand I have chlorine granules, pool shock, and I'm picking up some PH reducer later.
Any suggestions to get started?

Attachments

• IMG-0065.jpg
    IMG-0065.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the forum!
You may want to consider following Seasonal Pools
You will need a drop based test kit from Walmart or Home Depot. A 5 way will work. The test strips are worthless.
What are the chlorine granules? Look for Calcium Hypochlorite or Dichlor on the package. Let us know what it is.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

That little test kit will work. If you could find one that can test TA (total alkalinity), that would be better. I think those are 5 way test kits.

Keep track how much dichlor you use. When you have added enough to get to 30 ppm CYA, stop using it and start using bleach/liquid chlorine.

Reactions: splashpad
The last 2 nights I've used a pretty small amount of dichlor, whatever the pool calculators told me (but I didn't realize I was using a different form of chlorine). According to the strips, it definitely decreased the CYA, but the PH and Alkalinity look very high. I'll work on getting a test kit so we can have better information.
I also have Clorox PH Down and Clorox Shock Xtra Blue on hand.

Be careful using dichlor and pH down. Both are acidic. Low pH will bother eyes and skin.

Take back the Clorox blue stuff. It has copper and very little of it will put enough copper in your water to turn blonde hair green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say the chlorine is 5. Main thing is you have chlorine in the water and you swam!

Keep track of how much dichlor you have used and stop when you hit 30 ppm or so CYA.

I have bleach to start using today. :) When CYA goes up again, its okay to use some dichlor? Dichlor is okay, but just for occasional use, basically?
I'm not sure if you get notified of replies, but hope things are going well!
Try to get a hold of the 5-way drop test if you can! :)

I'm curious if you chose not to setup the pump/filter that was included w/pool? (just curious)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.