Slope of sports pool

Jan 20, 2018
Mi
Hello

I am new to this site and wished I discovered sooner. So much great info.

I have never had a pool but decided on a gunite sports pool for my family

excavation just took place

rectangle 20 ft x 35 ft

depth:
one end 3.5 feet
middle 5 feet
second end 3.5 feet

couple questions:
1. How wide should the 5 feet section be? I originally thought 6 feet wide and that is how the hole has been excavated but have since decided against that. I am thinking maybe around 3 foot wide or 4 foot wide maximum . My Pool builder said we can adjust this when they spray the gunite to make it smaller. This will minimize my slope. Or do I just keep it as minimal as possible and slope upwards from there?

2. Should I be concerned about the slope from the 3.5 foot towards the 5 feet center ? Is it a dramatic or noticeable slope to the point it’s not comfortable? Actually I am a little nervous about it now that I see the whole that has been excavated. I did some calculations and determined the slope will be 5-6 degrees depending on how wide I make the 5 feet deep end. Doesn’t seem like much but over a distance of multiple feet I am not sure how it will feel. I want to minimize any “dramatic” drop offs.

maybe I am over-thinking this but that’s just my personality:)

Please offer any advice, or comfort:)

Thanks for your time .

HI! So glad you found us! We can help you with all of these tough questions.

First off I am going to back you up a bit........what do you think you want to do in the pool? Volley ball, swim laps, large groups at a party, ???

If you take and share a pic of the dig so we can see what you are dealing with that will help us help you.

Kim:kim:

Hello!

The hole is covered now as it is going to rain I guess. So I cannot take a pic!

Yes, more for volleyball and basketball and entertaining (and hanging out having a drink or 2). Laps not really :)

I am going to put in a slide exiting at the middle for my 3 young kids (oldest is 7 years old), the slide requiring a 4.5 foot depth at the exit. So, I know I am good here. I could even go to 4.5 feet in the middle instead of the 5 ft I originally planned for.

Thanks so much!!

Scott, make sure you are talking water depth.............the water will come up to the middle of the skimmer. Some people measure to the coping so lose some water depth.

Now go measure Mom from her feet to just under her armpits. Do you want the water that deep, deeper, shallower? Just giving something tangible to work with. (I can just hear this conversation in your house "Honey I need to measure you." "WHAT???" "Well this lady on the pool forum told me to so....." LOL)

Reactions: Cammie
SO funny!!

Yes, we measured 3.5 feet on her a few weeks ago and it came up basically below her breasts which is what we wanted. This is why we decided on 3.5 feet. She didn't want to walk into the pool and be below her neck in water right away. So yes, below arm pits!

Everything I have talked to with the pool builder in regards to depth has been the water level.....

Thanks again!

So now to talk about how big each area will be. It will be hard to with the cover on it right now. I would go with as gradual as you can get going to the deep part BUT making sure to follow the "rules" for the slide as for the slope. Talk to your PB and see what he says for the slope. He does this for a living. Get his input and come back to us with what he says.

3 kids and a slide!! What fun this will be for them!!! Tell us more about the kids please :angel:

Do you have a before pic to share so we can see where this neat pool will be going?

What equipment will you be getting? We can check that over to make sure it is big enough for your pool.

Thanks again for the response!

I do have pics before it was excavated. I will get some uploaded, and also some of the current excavation. I am at work so it will be to hard to do it now :)

Three boys! age 7, 5, 2. Busy!

Equipment:
Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pump, variable speed pump, Speed spa booster pump
Jandy cv460 cartridge filter
Jxi 400,000 pool/spa heater
Jandy 2 hp spa jet air blower

Yes I have a 10 x 8 foot wide spa spilling over into the pool but NOT in the pool!

Thanks!

Oh poor Mom! Four guys to deal with :hug: to you Mom! Lol

Yeah work does tend to get in the way :roll: but you have to pay for that pool somehow!

You really got my attention with the spa comment....can you also share your design plans? When you get home that is.

Also, I did find this online:

A - "Where the water depth is less than 5 feet, the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal (1:12)."
B - "Where the water depth exceeds 5 feet (1.5 m), the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 3 feet horizontal (1:3)."

For me, "A" would apply, and my set up will exceed this ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, I did find this online:

A - "Where the water depth is less than 5 feet, the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal (1:12)."
B - "Where the water depth exceeds 5 feet (1.5 m), the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 3 feet horizontal (1:3)."

For me, "A" would apply, and my set up will exceed this ...

This could be key!! Sounds like you are on top of this! Can't wait to hear what your PB says.

Looking at your design........how high will the spa wall be from the decking? I worry about the spa blocking the view of part of the pool from the patio and house. Just something to think about before they start adding steel.

So do you think sitting on the patio or being in the house you will be able to see the pool over the spa? 18" is not a lot but you are there and know what the area looks like.

Sounds like the slope should be nice and gentle if I am reading that right. I can't wait to see what it looks like in real life.

i am right there with you except im doing a vinyl sports pool 20x40. I took some string and lined up a mark on my basement wall and laid out the string to show the depth and slope for 40ft. I was going to do 5ft of 3.5' and start the slope to a midpoint of 5.5ft (width about 2ft) and then go back up to maybe 4ft on the other side and the slope I think I calculated was like 8 degrees and wasn't very steep at all.

as for now yes....I am a week away from PB ordering liner. I want to make sure I get water depths of 3'5" and somewhere around 5' - 5'3" in the deep part.

But yes 2 (5ft flat sections on each end of pool) with 14ft of slope on each end 2 ft wide rounded wedge in middle (drain will be there) One end will have ladder while the main entrance side will have the typical white fiberglass steps. I was using online cad programs to draw this out as well to view the slopes

as for now yes....I am a week away from PB ordering liner. I want to make sure I get water depths of 3'5" and somewhere around 5' - 5'3" in the deep part.

But yes 2 (5ft flat sections on each end of pool) with 14ft of slope on each end 2 ft wide rounded wedge in middle (drain will be there) One end will have ladder while the main entrance side will have the typical white fiberglass steps. I was using online cad programs to draw this out as well to view the slopes

Just came across your post and would love to hear how it all went and how you’re enjoying the pool. Pics?
I’m considering a sports pool but can’t decide!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.