Aug 3, 2017
Lexington, NC
We had an in ground pool installed last year. 22,000 gal, lagoon shape, vinyl, sand filter (2 cups DE), VS pump, Taylor test kit, central NC. Water chemistry and clarity was great last year. This year was great from opening until about a week ago. I have some slight cloudiness in the deep end, not so noticable in the shallow end. My chemistry is good and filter is working, just not sure where this cloudiness is coming from. I have had some trouble with FC useage during the day, losing about 2.5 - 3.5 FC daily. Any ideas?
The slight cloudiness isn't getting worst, but also it's not getting better.
FC last night: 16
FC this morning: 15, this drop might me be my error in measuring.
CC: <.5
Cya: 50
CH: 250
Alk: 70
pH: 7.3

Thanks!

Welcome! :wave: Well, you essentially seemed to have passed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, although you did have a concern about the accuracy of that test. So if the cloudiness doesn't improve, I would do another one. I would also keep an eye on the filter's pressure gauge. If it increases by 25% from the clean starting pressure, and does that fairly quickly, it's another indication there's too much organic activity (algae) in the water. The elevated FC level right now, while not at SLAM level, is probably helping you a little.

Since your CYA is 50, an FC of 20 is safe for your pool (SLAM level) based on the FC/CYA Levels. I would just try to maintain that as best as you can today and do another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Between that and your water clarity, see how things progress tomorrow.

Thanks for your help! OCLT from last night, lost maybe 0.5 FC. The pool is crystal clear now. I have a VS pump that is programmed to run 14 hours of the days (2 hr high speed, 10 hours low speed, and 2 hours mid-high speed), then turns off for the rest of the night. I did the calculations last year and it should be turning the water over twice in 24 hrs with the default settings. I don't know if all the pollen crud was just too much and the filter needed to run longer to clean/clear the pool. What do you think?
Thank You

If all 3 SLAM criteria are comple, and it sounds like they are, you are in great shape. :goodjob: No need to worry about "turnover rates" as they really have no applicability with us here. That's an old industry term. Simply adjust your VSP as required to maintain effective water surface movement to collect debris at the skimmer and mix chemicals (about 30 min or so). I don't recall if you have a SWG (don't forget to update your signature), but that and perhaps a cleaner would be the only other reasons to run the pump. Good job. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.