Slightly cloudy pool

Tenamarie123

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
Warren, MI
Our salt water pool has been looking a little cloudy as of late and I just cannot figure out why....here are our readings using TF-100

FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 170
CH 175
CYA 35

What do you think could be causing it? TA is a little high but do you think that would cause cloudiness?

Not the TA. I suspect algae is trying to form. For a salt pool, your CYA is extremely low and which causes the SWG to work extra hard to maintain a good FC level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. I would prepare for a SLAM Process, although you can also do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm.

Consider your CYA as 40, anything over the 30 line means 40. For that you'll see your FC is low. I would increase the FC. I'd aim for 5-6 ppm FC daily so that after burn off by the sun you'll still have aprox 4ppm.

As to your cloudiness issue- have you run an OCLT? Obviously there is something there so you could just jump in to a SLAM Process . That is what I would do and not bother with the OCLT.

Remember that with a SWG, if you have a large party or someone spills some beer or pee in the pool you should use liquid chlorine or plain unscented, un-thickened, non Clorox brand bleach to raise your FC level up to compensate.

Keep us updated on how you manage this.

Maddie :flower:

Did do a SLAM, pool is now crystal clear and passed OCLT, got CYA up and now letting FC drift down to 7-8. TA still very high, has been high since opening. Not sure how to get that down when PH is a 7.2. Do I want to lower PH even more? So grateful for my TF-100 test kit. Would drive me crazy to have to keep running to a store to get (inaccurate) test results.

FC: 15
CC: .5
PH: 7.2
TA: 150
CYA: 70

Do not focus on the TA. If your pH is stable, it is fine. If your pH rises very quickly, then a concerted effort to lower TA can be done.

I suspect just keeping your pH in the upper 7's things will stabilize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.