Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
Third year owning house with inherited pool, 2nd year of getting it up and running and using it.
Decking is poured concrete that goes over bond beam and lips an inch or so into pool.
Plaster needs to be redone, as we had a few bad spots repaired, but there are hollow spots,
and a lot more areas that are bad. Past owner apparently tried to replaster himself years ago.

So far I have a new vs pump ready to install as soon as my jandy valves get here.
Also getting a new heater, and bought a robot last year, and I still need a ladder and rail for the steps

Starting to look at reno pricing and slight sticker shock.
Diamond Brite Cool Blue $18,700.00
Hydrazzo Gulfstream Blue $19,800.00
New water line tile $4200
Remove old concrete decking new pavers and coping $35,200
Getting three more estimates.
Got a ball park over the phone of $35,000 ( replaster and cut back deck 18 inches and then new coping, new waterline tile)

Other than the replaster, everything else is cosmetic and we can wait on doing, or I will tackle it myself this fall.
Back in the day, I have painted pools, and really do not want to paint this one, but might have to just to hold us over for 2-3 years.
YippeeSkippy mentioned this product in another thread. I am going to research it, but was wondering if anyone has used it or heard of it.
aquaBRIGHT™ – Concrete Pool Finishes – Ecofinish | www.ecopoolfinish.com
Their startup recommends products different than TFP.

If anyone remembers, when I first joined, wife wanted to fill in pool, now I am hearing I told you so.
Pics from my first thread
Starting a renovation on older inground, Chicago

The aquabright needs good plaster as a base so don't waste your time researching that finish for your pool.

All I can say is get more quotes for your project as those would give me sticker shock also.

Last edited:
The aquabright needs a good plaster as a base so don't waste your time researching that finish for your pool.

All I can say is get more quotes for your project as those would give me sticker shock also.

alot of the plaster is about down to to the shell, and what hollow spots there are I can grind out /remove.
What that be a good enough base ? Even if I skimmped and went with paint, I would still need to remove all of the hollow spots

I would assume your plaster quotes include a full chipout of the old plaster. It looks like your quotes are about $5K over what a basic replaster would be to include the chipout.

Unfortunately those of us in Northern stayes seem to pay a premium for pool work due to the short season. Those doing the work need to make a years income in a few months.

Reactions: jmikeb
yes they are including chipping out the old plaster.
Not real happy right now with the pricing, but it is what it is.
I was guessing 12,000 of the replaster and maybe 4,000 for tile
Hopefully the rest of the bids come in closer to what I was hoping the cost would be.

If I wasn't as aged as I am, i would do it my self, but to large of a project for me

On a side note, a fiberglass pool (16x36) would fit in my old pool shell,
tie into the existing plumbing, build a deck around it and we have new pool.
but cost almost as much

I have been really unhappy with my ecofinish on a new build. I have seen/heard even worse experiences with reno. It seems like a great product, but apparently very hard to install and from personal experience, EcoFinish doesn't ensure or care that their installers aren't all doing quality work. They certainly don't stand behind their "trained installers". We are waiting for another installer to come out tomorrow to see what the original PB left behind. EcoFinish said they might be able to cover the materials but the labor for this other installer of theirs would be on us.

We did a full replaster 4 years ago. The bids were all over the place. Chicago is a tough market without a lot of competition and many places would prefer to do a $20K-$40K project as opposed to just a resurfacing. We ended up paying $11K (which included maintenance for the first 30 days) for a full sandblast ($1,500 (of the $11,000) and well worth it) down to the gunite shell and a marcite plaster resurfacing. Our tile quote was about the same as yours but we have an early-70"s hybrid pool with a continuous tile channel so I opted to do it myself. Took 2 full weekends but it came out great. This was the second replaster on the pool in 42 years.

Have you considered plain white (or colored) plaster - that should be $8000-$10000. The concrete work seems way high - have you considered brushed concrete insead of pavers? It's no different from replacing a driveway and these are usuall MUCH less than $35,000!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was requesting a plain white plaster, most did not want to bother or the bid was to high.
I am fine without pavers

Geebot can you pm the company you used.

For now we will use it as is, its not leaking, it just looks bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.