Slight Haze?

Just ignore the BR part ... the same test can be used to test bromine.

The guide is suggesting you target 4ppm based on your current result, but you would just want to ensure that the OTO is showing a good yellow color (not too light).
I agree it is very hard to read the yellows.

Remember the temp guide is a method to "try to get by". Knowing that if things go bad, it is easy to drain and start over.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember, that having the FC a little high is fine and safe, you just want to ensure that the FC does not drop too low.

Thanks jbizzle :)

So the OTO is FC then? Is it common for CL to be used interchangeably with FC?

Sorry for soooo many questions. I feel like I'm almost there in my understanding and it's been fun to take on as a project.

The OTO is TC. The combination of FC and CC. Using the Temporary/Seasonal pool method if your pool gets any CC you will be draining and refilling. So for all intents and purposes the OTO in your case is FC.

Sorry, Mike is right. The OTO really tests TC. The assumption is that CC should always be near 0, so TC is roughly the same as FC.

Once you get things going, you will just be adding a little bleach every day and maybe adjusting the pH.
If the pool goes cloudy / green ... dump, clean, and refill.

Unless you get the good test kit, and then you can manage all the water parameters.

Well, it's all done. I drained, scrubbed with 10:1 water/bleach and refilled. I put the CYA into a nylon stocking in the skimmer, tested the pH (7.6 so I didn't do anything) and then added 6% bleach per poolcalc to get it to 4ppm.

I assumed there was no "wait time" let all the CYA dissolve before the other steps, since it wasn't mentioned.

I'll check it in the morning and see how the night treated it.

Thanks again for all the help!

This morning, CL was clear (zero) and pH had fallen to between 6.8-7.2, so I used the calc and added bleach and borax to adjust.

Is there any point in using one of my test strips to bring up the TA? It's currently reading 0 but everything else agrees with the 2-way test and the calculated amount of CYA I put in.

Cheers

Success!

Thanks again everyone :)
Piw0UgUh.jpg

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heya Poolzzz,

The listing is gone and I have yet to get anything, so I still don't know if it's going to happen. That said, I don't really expect anything coming from the US to get here before a week or two from now. I'll let you know if it comes through.

@mknauss - made a donation :)

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.