Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi TFP Family,

I have a little frustrating situation, but think its probably just another SLAM needed. Would love some feedback.

I had a new liner put in at opening this year, and filled my 19,000 GAL Vinyl pool with city water on May 22th. I have been using Pool Math and a K-2006 kit for a few seasons to get my chem right.

I got all my Salt, CYA, CL, TA, and CH in balance quickly after the pool was filled, but I've been struggling with a very slight haze for the 2nd time most noticeable in the morning right when the pump starts (6AM-9PM run time) and night under the light.

We had multiple heavy rains in the Northeast US, and noticed after the rain my water started to haze. My PH was always around 7.7 -7.9 so I use MA to bring it down to 7.6 without a problem. I also SLAM'd my pool to 31PPM CL for my 70PPM CYA and kept it there until OCLT passed. Which only took a few days. It also was un-seasonably hot between the rains early summer and after the SLAM notice my CYA is now 50-60.

Anyhow, here are my current readings...pretty consistent every day...but my water is not as clear at it usually is the last few seasons:
FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 50-60
Temp: 80

Could the haze just be dirty rain? I'm going to do another OCLT tonight and see if I lose more than .5.

Another interesting change: I switched my Pentair FNS Plus 48 from DE to Cellulose Fiber this season for the first time. I pulled my grid completely out and cleared all DE out. Then charged with Fiber Clear the beginning of the season by putting in (9) Fiber Clear cups in the skimmer. I did notice some folks say Fiber Clear should be first mixed in a bucket like DE then slowly poured into the skimmer so the grids are covered evenly. I did not do this. My pressure is definitely higher than normal on the filter, and have backwashed once with just a few PSI drop. I think I'm going to breakdown the filter and see what the media looks like.

Here is a picture of the white haze in the light. I can still see my drain fine, but its not crystal like it's been in the past.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Attachments

• slight_haze.jpg
    slight_haze.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
Past the OCLT. Stats at 6:23 this morning are:

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
CYA: 60

I’m now thinking the haze is due to poor filtration. I’m going to break down the filter and see how the Fiber Clear looks. Tempted to go back to DE depending on state of grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.