Slamming pool for first time, need advice

Vittt

Jun 16, 2018
Parkville, MD
Good morning guys,

I'm a new(ish) pool owner and struggling to get/keep my pool clear. This will be our 3rd summer with this pool, and we have yet to be able to maintain a clear pool for any significant period. My husband failed to close the pool properly so we started out with a dark green swamp. I'm in the process of SLAMing (for the first time) and this has been my experience. We have a 4400 gallon, 15' Intex metal frame pool, with a brand new SandMaster sand filter filtering 20 GPM and working well.

I’ve been using the following kits to test:
1. AquaChek 541640A Select Refills Test Strip for Swimming Pools
2. Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Swimming Pool and Spa Water Chemistry Test Kit with Case
3. Taylor K-1515-A Drop Test Kit FAS-DPD Pool Chlorine .75oz 1 Drop = .2 or .5ppm (for overnight test, when the time comes)

Tested pool: pH- 7.8, TA- 80, TC-0, FC-0, CYA- 30

Brought pH down to 7.5, and shocked pool to FC level of 10ppm (per pool math) and then brushed pool. I also have been confirming results on both test kits.
I’ve since been checking, adding more chlorine (if levels have dropped) and brushing about 3-4 times per day with slight improvement on color each day. This has been since Thursday evening.

My question is, we have been getting a TON of rain here in MD, and don’t know if I should be doing anything else because of this? I haven’t been testing for anything other than FC/CC since I know shocking can throw off other readings.

Also, how long should I expect it to take to get from the sea form green color to completely clear? It seems to me, from a visual perspective, that the rain has really slowed this process.

Welcome to the forum!
The tough part is you do not have a reliable way to measure CYA. Test strips are no good.
That size pool typically means just drain and clean it and start over. But if you want to clear up what you have, you need a proper test kit to measure CYA.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome! :wave:

Unless you're having to empty water before the pool overflows, the rain shouldn't be affecting things too much. Your water depth is roughly 40" so an inch of rain is 2½%. Not significant. The grey skies might actually work to your advantage as there is less UV light destroying the bleach.

Next item: shock level for 30 CYA is 12, not 10. It might accelerate the process some if you target 12 when you add.

Removing as much debris physically speeds things along. Even if you must vacuum blind. Do not neglect to brush, too. Your pool has far from ideal circulation, so brushing not only breaks up the algae biofilm, but mixes the water better. You want bleach to reach all areas, and to keep suspended particles stirred up so the filter can grab 'em.

I'm not sure about the one test kit, but you may as well throw those strips away. Even if they agree perfectly with the kit now, as they age and get exposed to humidity when the bottle is opened, they won't be anymore.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am unable to drain and re-fill the pool due to the grading of my property (it all goes into my neighbors yard, which is already flooded due to rain). Any recommendations on a reliable CYA test kit, or should I just order the Taylor test kit? I haven't been able to find a test kit that has FC levels up to 12, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place? I've been ordering from Amazon.

Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

Thanks. Ordered the TF-100 with XL option and pH meter. We will see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!
Great. You will order the Speedstir next -- it makes it a whole lot easier to do your tests.

Take care.

So, I got the kit and tested with the following results:
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
CH: 75
CYA: 0? (Filled the whole tube and could still see the dot).

What do I do next? I’m guessing to add alkalinity+ and then stabilizer?

No need to increase your alkalinity. Add chlorine/bleach and stabilizer.

For the CYA test, was the solution cloudy at all? If so your level is higher than 0 but lower than the lower limit of the test. If that is the case then add less CYA than your target then wait a couple days after it's dissolved and test again to see where you are. This will help avoid overshooting your target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.