Slamming ills

Jun 11, 2016
statesboro, ga
I have been slamming my pool since 5/25/17

You will see that my CYA is 70, a mistake on my part, but the water is clear yet the FC continues up and down as does the CC. Should I just let the filter catch up or?

Here are the latest chem numbers: 5/25/17

2pm

Ph = 7.6

FC = 0

CYA = 0

added 16oz muriatic acid to lower Ph t 7.4
added 3 121oz jugs 8.25% bleach

4:51p

FC= 9.5
CC= .5

add 11cups 8.25% bleach

added 3.5lb CYA big mistake on my part

7:30p

FC = 11.5

CC = 1

CYA = 70

added 18oz bleach

5/26/17

11:20a

FC = 11
CC = .5

1:45p

vacuum to waste

added 100 gals water

3:17p

CYA = 80

added 200 gals water

8:06p

FC = 8
CC = 0.5

added 5 jugs 8.25% bleach to reach slam goal of 31

5/27/17

6:33a

FC = 26

CC = 9

7:00a

added 1 jug of 8.25% bleach

12:30p

FC = 20.5

CC= 2

added 2 jugs 8.25% bleach

7:30p

FC = 20.5

CC = 1

7:35p

added 2 jugs 8.25% bleach

8:35p

FC = 27

CC= 1.5

CYA = 70

19K gal, AG ,vinyl, sand Hayward DreamLine, pump Hayward Power-Flo LX
1.5 HP single speed, august 2015 install, water test kit Taylor K-2005,
Pentair IC20 SWG, water from community well.

Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend.

Bill Webber

That's pretty normal. More sun equals more lost FC. Sun eliminates a lot of CC, too. Also higher FC means more lost to sun-- it's a percentage not a fixed parts per million. And when you stir things up and expose more algae when brushing, that changes the demand.

Aside from elevating the CYA too soon, you seem to have a grasp on things.

So first let me thank you for logging the testing! Did you mean k-2006 or k-2005?

I was glad to see you understand you need to get your FC to shock level. That is the crucial thing at this point for you - get it there and keep it there. Each time you test, add enough to get it to shock FC.

How is the water looking? Any questions so far? If you keep bringing FC up to shock for your new CYA then you have the gas pedal to the floor until the water is beautiful blue and cloudy.

So first let me thank you for logging the testing! Did you mean k-2006 or k-2005?

I was glad to see you understand you need to get your FC to shock level. That is the crucial thing at this point for you - get it there and keep it there. Each time you test, add enough to get it to shock FC.

How is the water looking? Any questions so far? If you keep bringing FC up to shock for your new CYA then you have the gas pedal to the floor until the water is beautiful blue and cloudy.

The water is actually very clear. not crystal clear with some minor cloudiness.

So it is best to just keep sweeping and vacuuming and testing via FAS-DPD and adding bleach until water is crystal clear?

I have a K-2005 and FAS-DPD

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty normal. More sun equals more lost FC. Sun eliminates a lot of CC, too. Also higher FC means more lost to sun-- it's a percentage not a fixed parts per million. And when you stir things up and expose more algae when brushing, that changes the demand.

Aside from elevating the CYA too soon, you seem to have a grasp on things.
Someone suggested I use DE to capture smaller particles but I have no way to properly dispose of DE except into our backyard where our two dogs play and I do not want to expose them to it. So I guess I will get more bleach and soldier on.

Thanks

Great answers! Yes, your solution to getting you to 100% crystal clear is following the SLAM protocol. As long as you keep that FC at shock level per your current cya as best you can, keep the filter running 24/7 or as close to it as possible, and doing some brush/vac, watch your PSI and backwash when 25% over clean PSI (no sooner right now since the slightly dirty filter will actually grab the finest particles better than the clean one) you will achieve the crystal clear water without cellulose fiber, de, or floc. It is impossible to know exactly how many hours/days/weeks it will take for your exact pool, but tens of thousands of others have achieved what you can too. If you have a deadline and direly want crystal clear water faster and can baby the pool, you can read about cellulose fiber users more on this site, lots of threads. Totally optional and up to you. The cellulose fiber is a way to accelerate your freshly backwashed sand to a several days dirty state, leaving narrower water channels for your pool water to navigate, trapping more of your dead algae, pollen, organic debris faster. I've never used it, but always wanted to. You'll find pros and cons on other threads if you're impatient and want to risk speeding things up. Even if you use the cellulose fiber, you must still SLAM asap and must still pass all three slam criteria asap.

Great answers! Yes, your solution to getting you to 100% crystal clear is following the SLAM protocol. As long as you keep that FC at shock level per your current cya as best you can, keep the filter running 24/7 or as close to it as possible, and doing some brush/vac, watch your PSI and backwash when 25% over clean PSI (no sooner right now since the slightly dirty filter will actually grab the finest particles better than the clean one) you will achieve the crystal clear water without cellulose fiber, de, or floc. It is impossible to know exactly how many hours/days/weeks it will take for your exact pool, but tens of thousands of others have achieved what you can too. If you have a deadline and direly want crystal clear water faster and can baby the pool, you can read about cellulose fiber users more on this site, lots of threads. Totally optional and up to you. The cellulose fiber is a way to accelerate your freshly backwashed sand to a several days dirty state, leaving narrower water channels for your pool water to navigate, trapping more of your dead algae, pollen, organic debris faster. I've never used it, but always wanted to. You'll find pros and cons on other threads if you're impatient and want to risk speeding things up. Even if you use the cellulose fiber, you must still SLAM asap and must still pass all three slam criteria asap.

Thank you.

The wife is very much wanting to get in the pool very soon, next day or 2. Anything to get clear water without fibers, etc? Some type of Clarifier?

I am going to do the over night test tonight and see where we are.

Thanks,

I've private messaged a few people more expert than myself, but in the mean time - if you want the gas pedal mashed - test FC every single hour and add enough bleach to get back to shock. Vacuum the bottom, brush the whole pool. Maximize circulation such that all those particles get run through the skimmer, vac head, and main drain as fast as possible. Maybe leave the vac attached and just sucking water from anywhere that looks murkier than the rest. Do not clean the filter before 25% over clean, and maybe not even until manufacturer maximum, not sure there. The shock level FC will oxidize lots more than less than shock level, so keep it there.

I've private messaged a few people more expert than myself, but in the mean time - if you want the gas pedal mashed - test FC every single hour and add enough bleach to get back to shock. Vacuum the bottom, brush the whole pool. Maximize circulation such that all those particles get run through the skimmer, vac head, and main drain as fast as possible. Maybe leave the vac attached and just sucking water from anywhere that looks murkier than the rest. Do not clean the filter before 25% over clean, and maybe not even until manufacturer maximum, not sure there. The shock level FC will oxidize lots more than less than shock level, so keep it there.

Thank you. i will soldier on with current slamming processes and do the over night. I am testing water now as no sun shines on the pool now.

A four day SLAM is less than average. Be patient.

1. Have you been backwashing/everytime the psi goes 25% above normal?

3. Have you been running the pump 24/7?

4. Have you been frequently vacuuming or running a robot?

5. If your water is clear, and your cc's drop to .5 ppm or less, AND you pass the OCLT, you will be done.

Don't PM folks for personal help. Keep your issues out in the forum so we can all learn from them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.