Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi, all.

I've gotten to the point in the SLAM process where I have a dead algae and what I've seen called "algae dust."

I've supplemented my sand filter with some DE, I'm using a filter sock and our robot to try to get the dead algae & algae dust out of the pool. Not a lot of progress so far. I even see it coming back out the returns in the pool.

Is my only solution to vacuum to waste? I hate to do that what with all the stabilizer and chlorine bleach I've added to the pool in the last couple of days, so checking to see if there are other options/ideas.

Thanks so much -

Haven’t gotten to the overnight test yet. Just trying to think proactively.

But whatever it is, should I vac to waste, or just wait it out & keep sweeping to the deep end?

Thanks.

But whatever it is, should I vac to waste, or just wait it out & keep sweeping to the deep end?
Once the majority of junk is out of the pool, I would focus more on normal filtration. San filters tend to grab junk a little better when they are dirty anyway.

Reactions: stretchphoto
I appreciate your help. But the question remains: How do I remove the majority of the junk from the pool? Vac to waste?

Or, as I continue the SLAM process, will the junk (very fine brown-ish particles) become more minimal through the slam/normal filter process?

Thanks.

I'm beginning to think not.

Rather, I am becoming certain that to clear this brown Crud that continues to return into my pool after five days of filtering, I'm going to need to vacuum to waste a good portion of the bleach, salt and stabilizer I've been adding to the pool during SLAM.

If anyone has a good reason why its not better to vacuum first I'd love to hear it.

Why are you adding salt during the SLAM Process?

You have to get the debris out of the pool eventually. Might as well do it before the SLAM.

Why are you adding salt during the SLAM Process?

You have to get the debris out of the pool eventually. Might as well do it before the SLAM.
I agree. Might as well do it before SLAM, as I will next year.

Curious why that's not at the top of the SLAM instructions. And why in the several threads I've read on the process no one mentions it.

This is the pool after five days of slamming. Chemistry is getting there. Dirt and filth remain.

EE354AC6-A01E-4B5C-9A18-C01B6043E255.jpeg

The SLAM Process is for clearing algae problems.

Clearing debris at opening is discussed in…

Reactions: Bperry and Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I see now that it is mentioned in passing. Still can't figure out why I couldn't get an answer to that in the many posts I've made in that regard over the last several days.

Turning the pump off now as I'm heading out of town for the weekend. Will start over on Monday with a vac to waste until I can at least see the bottom of the pool.

Your response indicates you think I should have known you added 8 pounds of stabilizer, despite this information not appearing in your logs.

The real question remains, "why would someone add 100 ppm of stabilizer to a pool they were actively performing a SLAM Process on?"

Your response indicates you think I should have known you added 8 pounds of stabilizer, despite this information not appearing in your logs.

The real question remains, "why would someone add 100 ppm of stabilizer to a pool they were actively performing a SLAM Process on?"
You continue to ask questions rather than providing answers, which indicates to me that you want an argument, something for which I have neither the time nor the inclination for.

To answer your question, I asked my question about the stabilizer because I wasn’t sure if that would take the cya from 55 to 100. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

You continue to ask questions rather than providing answers
I ask questions when I see someone doing something that makes no sense. Since the instructions for the SLAM Process clearly state that the CYA should be between 30-40, it makes no sense that someone would dump additional CYA in to a pool with a CYA level already above that level. That odd behavior certainly justifies questioning.

I will be sure to avoid offering any input in the future to prevent further offense. Enjoy your pool.

Reactions: DiannJ
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.