Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My chem measurements are FC=5.5, cc=0, CYA=20, PH =7.2, TA =30.

I'm in the northeast and I did a "half opening" at the beginning of may by vacuuming to waste, putting in more chlorine tabs and turning on my DE filter (runs about 5 hours a day). It's not a full opening, because I kept the cover on until today and I haven't done a SLAM. The water has been totally clear throughout. I do a SLAM at the beginning of the season just out of habit. I don't know if it's required since my pool always pretty clear when I open in May.

Today I took the cover off and I wanted to slam, but my CYA is at 20. Which I am confused about because I put in a full 10 or so 3" cholorine tabs and they are gone.
Knowing that the kids are itching to go in the pool, I am wondering how I should go about this. This is my first year doing a "half" opening, so I usually have a full month to SLAM and get the pool ready before it gets warm enough to go in. So I figure I got 3 choices.

1. attempt to slam with cYA of 20
2. Add more pool tabs and wait for CYA to go up naturally (probably allowing my kids in the pool without SLAMming it first)
3. Figure out how to increase my CYA with the sock method (ive never done this) and then SLAM

What do you guys think? What is the fastest way for me to get this pool ready for the kids.

What does the water look like?

Post your test results.