SLAMmed with 8% liquid bleach - CYA through roof?

DuchessJen

Jun 18, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
What?
I started my SLAM at 40 CYA, using liquid chlorine, 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite.

I just finished my slam, checking my levels and they are:

FC: 13.5
CC: 0
CYA: 100

Where did this CYA come from???

Three options, it was there before and there was test error, you added CYA containing chemicals, or your current test is in error.

Reactions: BowserB
Just saw your pool volume. Dump it. Start over. You should not have messed with a SLAM. With that volume, dump, clean, and start over.

Three options, it was there before and there was test error, you added CYA containing chemicals, or your current test is in error.
I wonder if the "other ingredients" in chlorox contain CYA? That's the only thing that went into my pool during the entire process.

I refilled my small CYA reagent bottles before this recent test, but they were refilled from the same large bottle as the previous CYA reagent small bottles.

As far as error on the test before the SLAM, the black dot was clear as day until around 60, cloudy around 50, very cloudy around 40, and then undetectable around 30.

After the slam, it was very cloudy at 100 and undetectable at 90.

I guess I'll drain some and refill. I don't need to SLAM a pool again after adding fresh water, do I? It comes in clean and chlorinated at 2ppm.

If your CYA is that high, dump at least half of it.
Okay! That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.
Removing half of the water would bring me down to 50 CYA. Then I could remove a little more.

QQ: If I had algae blooms, why should I not have messed with a SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because the volume of your pool is so small. Easier and cheaper to just dump it and refill it with clean water.
Gotcha. Where I live, it only cost me $7 to slam the pool over 4 days. It would be ~$50 to fill it up. I guess this process ran me about $32, with the CYA water replacement.

Last question! Do I need to shock the pool after filling halfway with fresh water? It comes in at 2ppm chlorine, 0 CYA, 8pH. I could just balance it and hop in, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.