SLAMing Works!

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
One and a half year pool owner here. For the first six months, I followed this forum's instructions exactly. Pool was awesome. But because I am inquisitive, and lazy, I let the chlorine go to zero a few times during the following winter, just to see what happens. So I had to scrub the walls and floor of slight algae and add an extra gallon or two of liquid chlorine. Now it is Spring/Summertime, and I noticed my pool water seems like colored blue water, and not as sparkly as when I started. And I got a pool party coming up. So I did a slam. Like 12 gallons of bleach. Wow! My water is clearer than ever. Even better than last year.

And like someone here said, never let your FC drop below 6 ppm. I used to be doubtful of that, but now I see it makes for a useful safety zone.

What is your minimum and target FC for your pool?

I am a new pool owner who had to start with a 33 day SLAM! Just trying to get to know my pool at the moment, attempting to work out how much FC loss a day i am getting. My target level for my CYA is 9-7 and minimum is 5.

If i top up to 9 i can let it go 3 days/ 72 hours (when pool is not in use and no cover on) for FC to drop to 5, sometimes 4.5. What i am trying to work out is that would the drop to 4.5 (for probably 12 hours) cause algae grown?

My CYA is 30, so minimum is 2 and target is 4-6. But I recommend higher CYA; I can't seem to keep mine. Testing for FC at least every other day is best. Waiting till the third day (in TX at least) can lead to trouble. For me, it's pretty simple. If I test, I will add chlorine as needed. If I don't test...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.