SLAMing the swamp after cover failure. Backwash or breakdown DE Filter to clean?

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all.

Opened the pool today to a swamp after a cover failure during the winter. SLAM is in progress. We have a Pentair Quad 100 DE filter. Usually it lasts all summer without rising 10 PSI. It has gone up 12 PSI over starting within a few hours due to all the gunk in the pool. Is it better to backwash or just break down the filter, clean and recharge?

Thanks!

Probably all of the above. Filter, backwash, vacuum to waste, whatever it takes. You might also consider running the SLAM periodically on recirculate in this early (heavy debris) stage to help breakdown the organics or when you are away from home and can't backwash.

My experience is that DE tends to stick to the grids or fingers when it's full of dead algae. The sticky DE doesn't like to backwash off, so opening up the filter and cleaning was a must. But once the water is clear the filter should run a good part of the season with minimal maintenance.

Probably all of the above. Filter, backwash, vacuum to waste, whatever it takes. You might also consider running the SLAM periodically on recirculate in this early (heavy debris) stage to help breakdown the organics or when you are away from home and can't backwash.
I opted to break down the filter for a full clean since that was quicker and easier with a second set of hands, plus it did a more thorough job.

For this first night, do you think its better to leave it on filter or recirculate? If the pressure hasn't risen too much, I'll leave it on filter but if its getting close, should i switch to recirculate overnight?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.