SLAMing Questions

KevinL

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2023
Long Beach, CA
I really appreciate all the information on your website, but I'm struggling to put it all together. I just want to know the correct technique for SLAMing my pool, but it seems like the information is spread over multiple web pages, a little bit here a little bit there. At this point I have about 10 TFP pages open and I'm still not totally clear on what to do. Do you have a page that just explains all the information in one place?

I'm especially struggling to know how much chlorine to add to my pool. Every time I click a link that is supposed to tell me this, it leads me to a page that doesn't help. I can't find the promised "The Chlorine/CYA Chart". I'm really at a loss.

Are you using the Pool Math app? Click Free Chlorine, then tap the slider for SLAM level. It will put your recommended FC level in, then select your addition method and it will tell you how much to add.

Reactions: KevinL
This should have all you need, including a link to the FC/CYA chart which is also in my signature.

Are you using the Pool Math app? Click Free Chlorine, then tap the slider for SLAM level. It will put your recommended FC level in, then select your addition method and it will tell you how much to add.
Thank you. I was able to download the pool math app. It is telling me that based on 4 ppm FC, I should add 233 ounces of liquid chlorine. It also has a warning "your target is outside the recommended range". Is this designed to warn people from jumping into a pool with such high chlorine content?

Some of the confusion here is that TFP recently "retired" the famed FC/CYA chart in favor of a more customized solution. Go to the link provided and fill in the form and it will generate the chart for your situation.

lc_chart.jpg

Maintain SLAM level as needed. FC needs topping off every couple hours (2 to 3) at first, but quickly starts holding longer by day 2. By day 3 it usually holds all day.

Brush and vac at least once a day.

Clean filter at 25% increase in psi.

Scour/scrub every inch, especially the hidden ones in plain sight like ladder rails, autoffills, water features and light niches. Literally every inch is suspect until proven otherwise.

When the water is clear, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

To finish SLAM you need

Clear water
Pass OCLT
CCs of .5 or less.

Reactions: koffey
I really appreciate all the information on your website, but I'm struggling to put it all together. I just want to know the correct technique for SLAMing my pool, but it seems like the information is spread over multiple web pages, a little bit here a little bit there. At this point I have about 10 TFP pages open and I'm still not totally clear on what to do. Do you have a page that just explains all the information in one place?

I'm especially struggling to know how much chlorine to add to my pool. Every time I click a link that is supposed to tell me this, it leads me to a page that doesn't help. I can't find the promised "The Chlorine/CYA Chart". I'm really at a loss.
this is the link you are needing to follow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some of the confusion here is that TFP recently "retired" the famed FC/CYA chart in favor of a more customized solution. Go to the link provided and fill in the form and it will generate the chart for your situation.

Yes, thank you. I eventually figured that out. The chart was apparently replaced with a small calculator in the middle of the webpage.

Yes, thanks to your encouragement I downloaded it and was able to move the slider to the slam level. It recommended FC 16 ppm. is that swimmable?
Yes, the pool is safe to swim between minimum and SLAM level IF you can see the bottom.

Is your PH level in the 7’s? If your under 10ppm Chlorine now (higher renders PH test inaccurate) I’d retest to be sure. Low or high there might cause discomfort.

Yes, the pool is safe to swim between minimum and SLAM level IF you can see the bottom.

Is your PH level in the 7’s? If your under 10ppm Chlorine now (higher renders PH test inaccurate) I’d retest to be sure. Low or high there might cause discomfort.
Yes, I'm at pH of 7.2. Are you saying that chlorine above 10 PPM renders the pH test inaccurate?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.