SLAM’ing - going through lots of liquid chlorine

Good job! (You haven't had to add chlorine since Mon? That's a good sign, You're almost there!)
I wouldn't fuss with your TA right now, use Poolmath to dose muriatic acid to bring your PH down to 7.2/7.4 and then get back up to SLAM FC level. FC/CYA Levels (CYA/50 = SLAM FC/20, and test frequently and bring the FC back up when it tests below 20)
Be sure to keep brushing/scrubbing any of the areas that had algae, it's a tough organic to control! Follow all the steps in SLAM Process

Good job! (You haven't had to add chlorine since Mon? That's a good sign, You're almost there!)
I wouldn't fuss with your TA right now, use Poolmath to dose muriatic acid to bring your PH down to 7.2/7.4 and then get back up to SLAM FC level. FC/CYA Levels (CYA/50 = SLAM FC/20, and test frequently and bring the FC back up when it tests below 20)
Be sure to keep brushing/scrubbing any of the areas that had algae, it's a tough organic to control! Follow all the steps in SLAM Process
Great thanks 👍 Not a drop of chlorine since Monday.

Reactions: splashpad
Great thanks 👍 Not a drop of chlorine since Monday.
That's awesome! So yeah, dose muriatic acid according to PoolMath (7.8 to 7.2) and then test and add liquid chlorine to keep FC/20 until you don't lose any overnight! It takes patience, because that is the hardest test to pass, believe it or not! But once you do, you'll have easy, enjoyable management after this!

That's awesome! So yeah, dose muriatic acid according to PoolMath (7.8 to 7.2) and then test and add liquid chlorine to keep FC/20 until you don't lose any overnight! It takes patience, because that is the hardest test to pass, believe it or not! But once you do, you'll have easy, enjoyable management after this!
At least I’ve got some clear direction and confidence moving forward, so thank you!
follow up question - I don’t have muriaric acid yet, but I’ve got some pH down and some low n slo from the previous owners. Can I use those since I have them on hand or not fuss around and go buy some acid?

Reactions: splashpad
At least I’ve got some clear direction and confidence moving forward, so thank you!
follow up question - I don’t have muriaric acid yet, but I’ve got some pH down and some low n slo from the previous owners. Can I use those since I have them on hand or not fuss around and go buy some acid?
Honestly the dry acid adds sulfates which you don't want. I would highly suggest to go get Muriatic acid (usually in the paint dept of hardware stores) and keep it on hand, you will likely need it and it doesn't go bad! Just don't store it around metal! :D

Honestly the dry acid adds sulfates which you don't want. I would highly suggest to go get Muriatic acid (usually in the paint dept of hardware stores) and keep it on hand, you will likely need it and it doesn't go bad! Just don't store it around metal! :D
10-4! Metal is everywhere lol 😂
Where do you store yours?

In an old kitty litter tote :D But anything plastic will work! Do not store it with the bleach either. For safety, it's best to use separate measuring containers that are dunked/rinsed in the pool water, so you don't get a dangerous reaction!! And wait 15-30min between each chemical addition. They are safe to handle, just be smart/careful about it ;)

Reactions: Steelkilt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is some TFP info on Pool Acid: Acid - Further Reading
Note is does suggest not to "measure" muriatic acid; we have to use a small amount, so we choose to measure... but if the amount you need to add is large enough, you may not need that accuracy.

I store my MA in a plastic seat/storage container outside near our pool deck. MA isn't affected by heat or cold and can be stored outside.

How does the pool look now? Any photos to share? If it's completely clear, no sign of algae, and you have no CC on your test, you could do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure nothing is hidden in it and be all set. Otherwise like they said - adjust pH to 7.2 and bring it back to SLAM level. :)

I store my MA in a plastic seat/storage container outside near our pool deck. MA isn't affected by heat or cold and can be stored outside.

How does the pool look now? Any photos to share? If it's completely clear, no sign of algae, and you have no CC on your test, you could do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure nothing is hidden in it and be all set. Otherwise like they said - adjust pH to 7.2 and bring it back to SLAM level. :)
Crystal clear! Its raining now, but here's the photos from yesterdaypool_iOS.jpgpool2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.