SLAMing for 5 days, but still can't even see the bottom

Jun 20, 2012
Wynantskill, NY
I have been following the methods outlined on here for the past 8 years with my pool. However, this year has been a challenge so far.
We got a puppy at the end of last season, and he proceeded to completely destroy the cover over the winter/spring. So, there is probably a ton of organic debris in the bottom of the pool. It proceeded to get very green this spring since there was no cover to block light etc.

I forgot to adjust the pH before starting to raise the FC to shock level on Saturday 5/16.
The water changed color from green to not very green in a matter of 3 days, but the cloudiness has not changed much. I have added some DE to my sand filter in the hopes that this would speed things up.
I have been vacuuming at least once per day, but it is hard to tell how effective I am being, since I can't even see the bottom. I am just trying to generally get the whole bottom of the pool. I have also brushed the sides about 3 times. It seems like the sides might be stained green....hopefully that goes away.

The thing that is confusing, is that my FC isn't dropping much overnight. I raised to a shock level of 16 last night, and it is the same this morning.

Also, here are my other measurements as of this morning:
TA = 30
CYA = 35
CH=20

Any help would be much appreciated. Really hoping the answer is not draining the pool, since when I replaced the liner a few years back it cost about $600 to get it refilled.
Attached are two pictures from this morning. Let me know if I can provide any more info that would help.

Attachments

• 20200521_071151.jpg
    20200521_071151.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200521_071210.jpg
    20200521_071210.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 36
Brushing 3X in six days is not enough. Brush two to three times a day. Algae has a biofilm that protects it and brushing breakers the biofilm allowing the chlorine to attack it.

You remove any stairs or ladders where algae can hide?

What is your clean filter pressure and current PSI? When did you last clean your filter?

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Gotcha, I will step up the brushing. I am also working from home right now with two little kids, so finding the time is a bit hard.
I have been backwashing the filter pretty much daily. It is usually about 9 psi clean, and has only gotten up to 11psi or so.

Also, it is worth it to let the FC drift down to adjust pH? Or just keep shocking for now and adjust pH later?

Backwash when filter pressure rises by 25%. Your filter is doing it’s job, just slowly.

You only need to adjust pH. TA test is used in Poolmath to determine how acid to use to adjust pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could also try opening the sand filter and doing a deep clean of it. That might get a bunch of gunk out that backwashing won't remove and help the process along.

Primary reason is that you cannot test pH when the FC is above 10 ppm, which is normal during a SLAM. Secondarily, chlorine is more effective at lower pH, though that is muted with CYA in the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Reactions: Mdragger88
So pH is 7.0-7.2 now.
FC was 10.5 this morning, so will add chlorine to get back up to 16 and brush. Then I guess it is just a SLAM waiting game. Attached are some pics from this morning. Can only see about halfway down still.
I also backwashed the filter this morning. It was at 12psi, and after backwash was at 8psi. Added some DE to get it up to about 9psi or so.
20200524_073258.jpg
20200524_073317.jpg

Have you tried a deep clean of the sand filter? Sometimes that makes the clearing go a lot faster, with all the crud that backwashing doesn’t get out of the filter.

I did it and got about 10 lbs of pine needles out of my filter last year. Was pretty nuts. They wouldn’t backwash out due to the shape. Lots of other crud too. Since then my pool has been crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.