SLAM required?

Rskpool

May 24, 2020
Sterling Heights, MI
I have a safety cover and about 3 weeks ago I noticed algae starting to form. My pool store recommended I add 4 gallons and a bottle of 60 algaecide . I opened and added another round of the same.

The filter has been running for 24 hours and the water test is attached. I brushed, vacuumed and back washed twice. The water went from cloudy to very clear, but you can see there's still debris on the bottom forming, not much.

The guy at the pool store said I was in chlorine lock and to add 6 CASES of chlorine, that seemed excessive, and it's also going to take me a few days to get a proper test kit.

Is a SLAM necessary? Should I wait for a test kit? I ordered a test kit for myself, but it's going to take a few days to get and I want to head off any issues.

Any help on my next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 15903604560904798545752101264209.jpg
    15903604560904798545752101264209.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 8
You know you had algae so a SLAM is the order of the day. The process followed was not adequate to kill all of the algae.

Good on you not to dump in 6 cases of chlorine. I would add 4 PPM of FC per day until you receive your test kit. Then proceed with a SLAM. Don’t adjust anything else before testing. On the off chance the numbers posted are accurate, they are close to a good starting point for a SLAM. If you have a simple FC test, use that to make sure you don’t go to zero on FC.

You know you had algae so a SLAM is the order of the day. The process followed was not adequate to kill all of the algae.

Good on you not to dump in 6 cases of chlorine. I would add 4 PPM of FC per day until you receive your test kit. Then proceed with a SLAM. Don’t adjust anything else before testing. On the off chance the numbers posted are accurate, they are close to a good starting point for a SLAM. If you have a simple FC test, use that to make sure you don’t go to zero on FC.

Thanks!

How do I determine how to get to 4 ppm? I'm using the TFP app, but under chemical additions where is standard 12.5 sodium hypochlorite liquid pool sanitizer?

Yeah I have a FC test.

Select bleach then the % will be on the next screen to enter.

Until you start the SLAM, just run it on a normal cycle. Then 24/7 once SLAMming.

The process of a SLAM works by FC killing algae which then form combined chloramines. These then get burned off by the sun. The process should be performed without a cover.

The process of a SLAM works by FC killing algae which then form combined chloramines. These then get burned off by the sun. The process should be performed without a cover.

Thanks. Just opened er up in Michigan, and trying to warm it up quick, but I figured some of the combined chloramines would get burned off by the sun so I've been keeping the solar cover off.

Is it possible to burn off enough of the combined chlorine without reaching the SLAM level? Just curious as I've been adding the 4 ppm you recommend and the pool looks and smells great. I've been brushing every day and even the debris seems to be dwindling down.

p.s. your dogs are cute! Is the one on the right an aussie mix? I got an ACD mix and she loves the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks about the doggos. They are Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. It's hard to have just one. Boy on the left, girl on the right. She loves the pool, he does too but differently than her.

Regarding CC's, it's better to just focus on starting a SLAM as soon as you have your test kit. It will likely be quick since your water is looking good. But I wouldn't skip it entirely because you know you had algae and you want to get the season started off on the right foot without it popping back up in a week or two because you didn't entirely eradicate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.