SLAM questions

Fmbiv

Jun 6, 2015
Bedford hills ny
Guys I have been using the troublefreepool method for ~5 years with pretty good results.

One problem I have run into was not being able to find enough bleach (or having to use scented, no splash bleach) when I SLAM due to the combination of a 55,000 gallon pool and not many stores nearby.

I am considering SLAMing with dichlor for a day or two (I will need to watch the CYA levels but I have to add stabilizer anyway).

So my questions are

1) is this ok?

2) if I have an SWG pool but I SLAM it with bleach then turn on the SWG once it’s up and running can I start my SLAM at lower CYA and FC levels (20-30) then gradually walk it up to 70?

55k gallon plaster SWG pool in Westchester NY

You may use dichlor. Be aware that the FC and CYA levels will increase about the same. So SLAM level FC will raise your CYA quickly. It is also acidic, so your pH and TA may be effected. pH testing is invalid at FC above 10 ppm.

What test kit are you using? Please add to your signature. Also the volume and brand/model of SWCG.

Always start your SLAM at 30 ppm or so. Complete it fully prior to raising your CYA and using your SWCG.

You may use dichlor. Be aware that the FC and CYA levels will increase about the same. So SLAM level FC will raise your CYA quickly. It is also acidic, so your pH and TA may be effected. pH testing is invalid at FC above 10 ppm.

What test kit are you using? Please add to your signature. Also the volume and brand/model of SWCG.

Always start your SLAM at 30 ppm or so. Complete it fully prior to raising your CYA and using your SWCG.

Thank you. I will check my SCWG and reply.

You might want to call some of the people that do pressure washing in your area to see if they can tell you where they get their bleach from.
I did, and was lead to a local chemical supply company that carried 55 gallons of 12.5% bleach.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.