SLAM question

CRAZE3

Jul 12, 2022
Hamilton, OH
We have a pretty big algae growth situation on our liner. Made the mistake of following the pool store recommendations and spending way too much money before I found this forum.
We just started our SLAM.
CYA 60, PH 7.2, FC-0, chlorine pool- not Salt
Water crystal clear
This is after a half drain and refill and rebalance of the pool due to high CYA. Pool wouldn’t hold chlorine.
Pool math told me that with our FC level, pool size and CYA we should SLAM to 24 FC. We followed the directions on how much chlorine to add. Tested an hour later and we had a FC of 3.4 and a CC of 0.4. Why did the pool math not work? Shouldn’t the FC be closer to 24ppm since we added what it told us too or is it really burning up the chlorine? Or did we test too soon?
Also do I now redo the pool math and add additional chlorine to get the TC up to 24? How often should we be testing and adding chlorine for the SLAM to be successful?

Shouldn’t the FC be closer to 24ppm since we added what it told us too or is it really burning up the chlorine?
Sounds like your water is really tearing-up the chlorine. You can test one more time, but whatever amount it shows, add the difference to get back to 24. You may need to check frequently the first few times before it stabilizes. You have the right idea though.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks we tested an hour after and the FC is now at 18. So pool math says add 2 more pounds to get to 24 so we are going to do 3 pounds and call it a night and test in the morning. So we are moving in the right direction I think. The water is so disgusting I guess 😩

Okay, you lost me there. How you measuring liquid chlorine in pounds again? Liquid chlorine additions are only given in ounces.
Screenshot_20220712-235631-783.png
The dry weight ounces/pounds is only for the following:
Screenshot_20220712-235651-801.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.