SLAM process question

rllackey28

Jun 9, 2017
Williamson, WV
Had to start the SLAM process. Had a few issues with pump and filter. 2 days ago my readings were:

FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 7
TA = 80
CH = 80
CYA = 30

Added 85 oz of Baking Soda based on Pool Math app. Got pH up to 7.5and started SLAMing. Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach. Which should have took FC above 12.

• Yesterday at 7:30 am FC was 0.2 (CC = 2.6). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 9:45 am FC = 0.6 (CC = 4.6). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 6:45 pm FC = 0.2 (CC =1.2). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 9:00 pm FC = 0.4 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach. So I figured I was making progress. And Pool coming back from green.
  • Today at 8:45 am, FC = 0.2 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • Today at 12:30 pm, FC = 0.4 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.

So my CC is staying pretty consistent. Should my FC be running out that quickly though? I think I understand but not certain and having a hard time convincing the wife that spending all that money on bleach is doing the trick. Thanks.

During the start-up of the SLAM process, you should be testing your FC every couple of hours and maintain the shock level. During the initial start-up of SLAM, chlorine may decrease rapidly as algae is being killed off (a reason why you should test your FC every couple of hours to maintain your shock level). Make sure, also, that you're vacuuming and brushing pool each day while in SLAM mood (brushing the walls, underneath the ladder (if you have any) etc. Algae like to hide there.

Had to start the SLAM process. Had a few issues with pump and filter. 2 days ago my readings were:

FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 7
TA = 80
CH = 80
CYA = 30

Added 85 oz of Baking Soda based on Pool Math app. Got pH up to 7.5and started SLAMing. Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach. Which should have took FC above 12.

• Yesterday at 7:30 am FC was 0.2 (CC = 2.6). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 9:45 am FC = 0.6 (CC = 4.6). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 6:45 pm FC = 0.2 (CC =1.2). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • At 9:00 pm FC = 0.4 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach. So I figured I was making progress. And Pool coming back from green.
  • Today at 8:45 am, FC = 0.2 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.
  • Today at 12:30 pm, FC = 0.4 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.

So my CC is staying pretty consistent. Should my FC be running out that quickly though? I think I understand but not certain and having a hard time convincing the wife that spending all that money on bleach is doing the trick. Thanks.

UPDATE:

• Today at 4:00 pm, FC = 0.2 (CC =0.4). Added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.

Can see the bottom now. Is something going wrong with my readings?

Nothing is wrong you are in the right path! Keep pushing and testing every hour until your FC holds! Your high CC initially meant that either ammonia or organics where present.

Any chance you can test and dose more often? It is best that your FC when you test is at least at the minimum FC, or 3 ppm, for your CYA.

Use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. Each drop of reagent to clear will account for 0.5ppm FC. No real reason to do the CC test. Save your reagent.

Sure, I can test more often. I had read not more than once per hour but not less than twice a day. So I figured every 3-4 hours. My reagents expire this month so I'll using it up. I'm just now getting into more OCD testing. Thanks to TFP I have eliminated 3" pucks though.

If after one hour my FC is high, what does that mean when after 3-4 it's back down to 0.2-0.4?

Also, constantly running our Dolphin Nautilus vacuum.

If your FC is disappearing in less than an hour, it can indicate ammonia in the water. The bacteria that creates the ammonia feeds on CYA.

How long ago did you test your CYA? When was the last time you added it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test every hour...Just your FC. I believe you're on the right track. It's going to take some time. I haven't read your other posts, but did you ever test for ammonia because you have to beat the ammonia before you can "stabilize" the chlorine and proceed with SLAM. Just curious if you tested for ammonia. If you did, and you passed, then you just have to maintain your FC shock level by testing your chlorine every hour (just your FC). Try to maintain your shock level (or at least within the target level or minimum FC). Again, if you have a lot of algae in your pool, that will eat up your chlorine pretty fast..

No need to test for ammonia. We are just concerned as your FC was getting consumed so quickly. Stay at what your are doing. I would think by tomorrow you will start to hold FC better. The 3.5 after a little over an hour is a good sign.

TUESDAY MORNING UPDATE (with some backstory):

First, I don't know how I managed my pool before I found this website. Well, I do but it was through ignorance.

Tested at 6:15 am. FC and CC were 0.5. But I got worried that maybe I had misread my CYA when I originally tested and decided to SLAM. I'll get your help on deciding what it is now. Originally I did the test as the Taylor kit said and filled it all the way to the top which the dot was blurry. So I went with 30. Today I filled it to the top and it was still visible. Obviously less than 30 but what? Do I need to add stabilizer before I got further with SLAM? Because I kind of feel like if the CYA is too low then all the chlorine in the world will not help it because there's not CYA to keep it from burning off.

Thanks for all your help.

If your CYA is below 30 your FC, during daylight hours, is burning off very fast due to the sun.

Have you added any CYA this year?

If you have not added any, and you can see the dot with vial full, I would suggest adding 20 ppm of CYA powder.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need to get to your first target. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process or just leave it alone, your choice. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Assume you have CYA of 30 until you can test it again. Wait 24 hours after the sock is fully dissolved before testing CYA.

Take care.

I hadn't but my CYA was 100 last year at close. I figured because of the 3" Trichlor tabs. So I drained a bunch and let rain water fill it up. Thanks for your help. I'll add the stabilizer and go from there. I've read up on the sock method btw. I do have a question though on the sock method. Could you put the sock in one of those floating chlorine dispensers and let it float that way. That way the sock doesn't come in contact with the pool finishes? Just wondering.

Only issue with the floater with the sock is no real water flow. So it will dissolve very slowly.

If you are leaving your pump on put the sock in the skimmer basket. Just be sure it does not close off the entire water flow.

If you closed with CYA of 100 last year, it is really bothersome how much chlorine you are using.

Any way you can do an ammonia protocol before adding the CYA today? It might be informative.
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using liquid chlorine to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 30 minutes. Test FC. If 5 or below, raise your FC to 10 using LC, circulate for 30 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 30 minute circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.