SLAM - pool chemistry off due to pool refill - do I adjust or wait?

Hi, This is the first time that I've had an extended slam with difficulty getting rid of the cloudiness post algae. (Might have to do with fact that we opened pool a couple weeks later than usual or that I was out of commission with Covid and didn't realize until later that dear hubby wasn't quite on top of it so we lost time. )

In any case, I originally thought my equipment was broken because the jets weren't expelling water. From reading here, I realized the filter was probably gummed up with dead algae. (we never had to backwash DURING SLAM before. I always did it after , right before I topped up the CYA). I've had to backwash 4 times a day the past 1 1/2 days. Getting closer, although the water isn't crystal clear, at least I can see the pool drains in the deep end and the spots that I missed when brushing the pool.

HOWEVER, I've had to put in municipal water since we lost so much was drained during all the backwashing and CYA is non existent (it was already low because my husband had starting shocking the pool without adjusting that). Can I add CYA while the SLAM and high chlorine levels are in process? I don't want to let up on the SLAM, but its hard in this 90 plus degree sunny weather we are currently having to keep up. Also, Alkalinity is low , should I bring that up now? or just wait until we are done? I'm also going to end up with a pH problem this year because I always count on the slightly acidic rainwater the pool collects over the winter to reset pH lower, but our municipal water is a high pH. I'll likely have to add more water before I'm done.

FC -12ppm
CC- 0.5ppm (Maybe .5-1ppm)
pH 7.8
Alkalinity- 40ppm
CH -60ppm
CYA - not measurable

Also, my chemicals are running low (I've ordered more, but since slam is lasting longer, started on Thursday, I've gone more than I've needed in the past 6 or 7 years.) I have some older 871 and I simultaneously tested a couple batches with the older stuff and the more recent stuff. The older stuff seems consistent , but requires a few extra drops to clear the pink (i.e. seems to overreport FC by 1+ppm. In a pinch can I use that to test (assuming that my actual chlorine levels are 1.5 ppm lower?)

Boy, an hour sure goes fast when SLAMing!

Last edited:
You're doing good except for the PH should be down to 7.2 when you start a slam and you must ave atleast 30 ppm of CYA otherwise the sun you mention will consume it very fast. DE has nothing to do with slam and is what makes your filter work. Without it you can have irreversible damage to the filter grids so go ahead and put in what it needs asap.

Reactions: jdlw
You're doing good except for the PH should be down to 7.2 when you start a slam and you must ave atleast 30 ppm of CYA otherwise the sun you mention will consume it very fast. DE has nothing to do with slam and is what makes your filter work. Without it you can have irreversible damage to the filter grids so go ahead and put in what it needs asap.
Thanks, - I'm sorry, my post must have been unclear. I have been replacing the DE every time I backwash - I'm just not sure whether I can put CYA in now, during the process of SLAMing, or whether I need to wait until the slam is done?
Also, pH was at 7.2 prior to SLAM, but since I've had to put municipal water in (and also the higher chlorine levels, I'm sure), it has jumped up. So I'm not sure whether I wait a couple few days until slam is over to address low alkalinity and high ph or whether I address it now.

Thanks!

You want to have your CYA at 30 during the SLAM, because without it you're wasting a lot of FC to the sun instead of killing oragnics.

Reactions: jdlw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.