Little Rock, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
1. Waiting on my Taylor 2006 to come for real tests.
2. Water is clear.
3.Dip stick with fc 3-5 ( see number 1)
4. No liquid bleach at WM. Only powder. Can check local pool store. Any where else that sells it? Home depot?

I’m trying to Stock up on bleach for a slam.
1. does powder work as well as liquid if it is not available?
2. is there a % sodium hypochlorite I need?

Can is use either one of the shock treatments I bought online
3. I have potassium monopersulfate. 3lbs
4. I also have ca hypochlorite 68%. 1 lb

will follow up with real test results later this week.

Don't use anything else other than liquid chlorine (regular bleach). Check Home Depot for their HDX Pool Shock (chlorine). You can also use Walmart's Great Value laundry bleach, but it's only 6% strength. Make sure it's plain/regular. Nothing scented or splashless. Lowe's should also have pool chlorine by now.

The chlorox is only 6%. I assume that is ok. May need to add more volume.
6% is fine. Did you get the actual Clorox brand? There have been reports of their brand using polymers for fabrics that can mess the water quality a bit. If that's all you could get, it may be your only option fro now. But in the future, you might try to avoid that brand if it states anything about fabric softeners/polymers. Of course always avoid splashless or scented bleaches.

update and help with direction please

I tested last evening with the K2006c
5/28
The Taylor test results
Fc 1.0
Cc 0.2
Ph 7.8
Ta 70-80
Cya 35

Pool water is clear
Running sand filter pump for 10 hours
Swg for 8 hours

repeated testing this morning 5/29
fc 2.2
cc 0.2
ph 7.8
TA 80
CaH 30
Cya 30-35

here is my plan:
I think I need to increase my CYA but i dont know how much to put in a sock? (need help here)
do i put the sock in the skimmer or in front of the return.
Is is just a regular white or black sock that be tied at the top or zip tied?

after the CYA dissolves then test 24 hours later;
I plan on running the SWG for 8 hours every night. the instructions say 5 hours.

Do I need to do anything with the pH.

I only have concentrated bleach clorox from target. I can go to the LPS and pick up some liquid chlorine if needed.

Right now I would immediately increase the FC with some chlorine.bleach. Get that up to about 4-5 ppm right away to keep algae away. Very important before you increase the CYA in preparation for your SWG. If you are confident of clear water with no algae, use the quote below to increase your CYA by 30 ppm. In a 3,900 gal pool, that's about 16 ounces (1lb) of granular stabilizer. The pH is okay at 7.8, but if it gets into the 8s, lower it a little with muriatic acid back into the mid-upper 7s.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

I saw some "concentrated" off-brand bleach today at the supermarket. Label said it contains sodium hypochlorate and sodium hydroxide. Didn't mention any scents, splashless, softeners, etc. Safe to use as a replacement until my supply arrives?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw some "concentrated" off-brand bleach today at the supermarket. Label said it contains sodium hypochlorate and sodium hydroxide. Didn't mention any scents, splashless, softeners, etc. Safe to use as a replacement until my supply arrives?

Sodium hypochlorite is what to look for. Home Depot and Lowe’s generally have liquid chlorine if you have either of those nearby.

How about this?
There are type types. The first is MORE concentrated. Whatever that means

The second is concentrated Also.

My wife has a small collection. Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 11
1. Waiting on my Taylor 2006 to come for real tests.
2. Water is clear.
3.Dip stick with fc 3-5 ( see number 1)
4. No liquid bleach at WM. Only powder. Can check local pool store. Any where else that sells it? Home depot?

I’m trying to Stock up on bleach for a slam.
1. does powder work as well as liquid if it is not available?
2. is there a % sodium hypochlorite I need?

Can is use either one of the shock treatments I bought online
3. I have potassium monopersulfate. 3lbs
4. I also have ca hypochlorite 68%. 1 lb

will follow up with real test results later this week.
You say the water is clear so I would increase the fc to 7 & then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine the need to SLAM Process
If you do need to slam use 40 cya on the FC/CYA Levels as you always round up to the nearest 10 the test cannot measure 35
Don’t forget to turn off the swg when doing oclt

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadofthree74
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the prompt responses.

Planning on adding tonight when I run the pump.

Do I need to also run my swg or just add the bleach? And then recheck the fc in the am?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.