SLAM instructions should say to remove pool cover

M T

May 18, 2021
SF Bay Area, California
I suggest that the SLAM instructions be updated to indicate that the pool cover be removed during the SLAM, even during the day.

The SLAM instructions make no mention of a pool cover.
Chem Geek wrote that the "oxidation" of ammonia produces nitrogen gas and nitrogen trichloride gas, and so
it is important to keep your cover off and have good circulation when shocking

He also indicated that there may be a lot of ammonia in the pool when opening the pool (when a SLAM may be needed).
Where the breakpoint chlorination of chlorine added to ammonia does apply is when opening a pool in the spring to a huge chlorine demand when bacteria have converted CYA into ammonia (see Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA))

Removing the cover will also extend the life of the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mdragger88
An ammonia scenario is a bit unique, however you bring up a valid point about covered pools during a SLAM process. We do typically encourage members to leave the cover off, or at the very least pull it back for a few hours each day. The article probably should make mention of that. We'll go back and look at this a bit further. Thanks for the heads-up. :goodjob:

We usually ask about a cover especially if the cc’s are elevated. But everyone who reads & follows the article doesn’t necessarily post to the forum & ask questions. Definitely a good idea to mention it 👍🏻

Very good point! I SLAM with my auto cover closed with the thought it'll prolong the chlorine depletion by blocking the sun. I do at least open it every day to brush it. Guess I'll wander out and open my cover again right now!

Last edited:
Thanks, I have done SLAMM for years with cover on and no ill effects- also thinking it would protect the chlorine and keep junk out. My first coverstar lasted 18 years. Would open it a few times per day anyway now will do it a but more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.