Silver Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
Carrollton, Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can I change to Cal-Hypo from liquid during the middle of slam. Should I let the liquid get used up or near zero or can I just start adding cal-Hypo on top of the 16PPM liquid currently in the pool

Cal-Hypo is not preferred in the long run, but if you are in a pinch and must use some, you can add it to the water at any time to maintain your SLAM level. The danger is to NEVER add liquid chlorine and Cal-Hypo together in a container or the exact same spot at the same time.

All forms of Chlorine work to their ability. If you can spare the rise in the binding agent (CYA, CH, or water) you're welcome to use the appropriate one.

Except for pucks in this case because they're slow release.

And none of them play well together as said above so use proper caution.

Cal-Hypo is not preferred in the long run, but if you are in a pinch and must use some, you can add it to the water at any time to maintain your SLAM level. The danger is to NEVER add liquid chlorine and Cal-Hypo together in a container or the exact same spot at the same time.
Thanks for the reply. I did get 20gal of liquid at Lowe's for $7.78 gal. (9.98 Gal at Home Depot) Found Cal Hypo at Walmart for $39 that may get me thru the slam if I need more. Glad to know I can use it in the pool with the liquid already in the pool. I was reading the safety tab on the Cal Hypo and was concerned. Thank you for the quick reply. I may get to swim by June!!!!!

Reactions: Texas Splash
All forms of Chlorine work to their ability. If you can spare the rise in the binding agent (CYA, CH, or water) you're welcome to use the appropriate one.

Except for pucks in this case because they're slow release.

And none of them play well together as said above so use proper caution.
Thank you, I just didn't want to blow up my pool, although, this slam does make me want to at times along with all the other problems opening this year. I think I may be the poster boy for having problems opening each year. I'm sure MOST of them are self inflicted. Thanks to all for the replies

Thank you, I just didn't want to blow up my pool, although, this slam does make me want to at times along with all the other problems opening this year. I think I may be the poster boy for having problems opening each year. I'm sure MOST of them are self inflicted. Thanks to all for the replies
Might also try a pool store. Mine has 12.5% for the same price as a few years ago. Maybe that means it was overpriced to begin with…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, I calculated a normalized price of Cl for Walmart bleach, Walmart LC, cal hypo and granular dichlor. Originally at the end of the season, updated a couple months ago.
Cal hypo price is from buying a 24 pack case of 65% from walmart online for $100.
Bleach was $3.5 for 120 oz for 7.5%.
LC at $5.50 per gal for 10%
Dichlor was from amazon, for maybe 25 pounds.

Bleach and cal hypo tied for lowest price, LC was a little more, diclor was highest by far.

If LC was $5 per gal, it would have come in at close to a tie for first with the other 2.

As long as your calcium numbers are relatively low, cal hypo works well.
And you get the advantage of not having to lug the LC or bleach containers from the store. Really easy to cut open the pouch and pour in the cal hypo.

Randy

Reactions: reggiehammond
In stock, Walmart, 1735 S Highway 27, Carrollton, GA 30117, Isle F8. $5.47 a gallon.

I was there on Tuesday. I pulled it up on-line and saw the price. It is next door to Lowes. Got there to find the shelves empty of liquid. I guess many Carrollton folks love the liquid. I will keep an eye out. Started out buying the walmart brand when I joined TFP in 2017 and it was $1.88 gal. then.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned, large additions of cal hypo can sometimes cause cloudiness this tends to complicate the slam process & it’s end goals.
I would look for a pool store / dealer that sells bulk liquid chlorine. The ones who also run pool service routes often have it & it’s fresh. The place I get it is charging the same price as last year. They also recently mentioned the price should be coming down a little soon so maybe there’s hope!
Liquid has definitely gotten quite expensive and this has many going with swg’s for daily chlorination. The roi on the switch is much quicker now.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.