Maribel_H

Mar 1, 2022
Baton Rouge LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, My pool (above ground 3,600 gal) was a whole ecosystem since I stopped maintaining it before last summer. After rehoming the frogs, taking out the strings of algae, vacuuming and dumping some water and refilling I started to SLAM it a week ago on Monday. It quickly became a softer green by Thursday but it has changed little to nothing since then, although no more visible organic matter (bugs or leaves) and I can finally see the shadow of my brush when I'm using it. My OCLT was 1.0 ppm and CC was zero this morning but water is still green. Do I just keep slaming until water clear? what I am missing here? TY
Pump (Intex 1000 Gph) works 24/7, filter change twice a day, I brush the whole pool 2-3 times a day. Taylor K1515A FC CC FAS DPD Test Kit

To add: In a facebook group someone mentioned I'm brushing too much and that made sense, and to vacuum to waste (I just did that at the beginning of the process since I can't see the bottom to vacuum).

Attachments

• 274697311_4872992716130971_760079925108136158_n.jpg
    274697311_4872992716130971_760079925108136158_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 22
Hey Maribel !!!

How often are you adding FC ? If you want to hit it hard you need to test and add every 2-3 hours at first.
In a facebook group someone mentioned I'm brushing too much and that made sense
You need to brush often and 2-3 times a day is just fine. Algae grows a biofilm to protect itself from harsh enviornments. When you brush you strip a layer and formally protected algae is killed. Give the FC time to do its thing and brush the next layer off.
to vacuum to waste
Anytime you vac to waste means less filter cleaning. Its helpful in good times and really helpful right now if fill water is cheap.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: While there is no doubt algae is still an issue, are you on city water or a well? Do you know if your local water has a high iron content? Something to think about as you continue the SLAM Process.

full

Make sure the chlorine is potent and not some stale stuff that was sitting somewhere. Is it the same stuff used at the beginning or did you change brands at some point. Check 10 minutes after the chlorine was mixed into the water if you've achieved the chlorine slam level you're aiming for and make sure the cya level you think you have is what it is. If not then you're not in the proper ratio for slamming.

Follow all the advice above & 👇👇👇
Keep Going Do It GIF by maddyshine

*Remember- every hour u are below slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels
Algae gets more of a foothold. 🦠
Do u have a cartridge filter or a cartridge

Hey Maribel !!!

How often are you adding FC ? If you want to hit it hard you need to test and add every 2-3 hours at first.

You need to brush often and 2-3 times a day is just fine. Algae grows a biofilm to protect itself from harsh enviornments. When you brush you strip a layer and formally protected algae is killed. Give the FC time to do its thing and brush the next layer off.

Anytime you vac to waste means less filter cleaning. Its helpful in good times and really helpful right now if fill water is cheap.
Alright, thanks. I was adding twice a day now. I'll check more consistently.

Reactions: Newdude
I don't why I didn't clean it then
1200 gallons started growing again immediately. Algae grows exponentially and once that train gets amovin it can be a beast to stop. The more effort folks put in, the faster it goes.

Reread the SLAM Process. Take some time to process as it's alot at first. Read it again. Ask away with any questions

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.