SLAM finished?

May 26, 2017
West Hills, Ca.
Hello! I am in my 6th day of a SLAM:

CYA 30-35
maintained FC of about 14-15
Kept my pump at 2250rpm 24/7

Two SLAM questions:

1. My pump stopped last night, probably did not run for 5ish hours over night, will that throw things off for me?
2. Three and four nights ago I had an FC drops of about 3-3.5ppm each night; two nights ago FC dropped 2.5ppm and then all of a sudden, last night I had 0 FC drop. Is that possible to go from having a noticeable chlorine demand to having none in 1 day during a SLAM? Or did I screw up my test and/or did the pump being off most of last night skew the results? I tested this morning twice to confirm but only once last night. I did not add chlorine after my test last night. Test last night was 11pm, this morning was at 6:30am.

I'll be moving into the muster algae FC levels for the next 24 hours, should I wait another day and continue the SLAM at the current FC14 level before jumping up to FC22, or is it reasonable that I'm done with the SLAM? Water has always been crystal clear and the CC has been very close to 0 the entire time.

One general question, the Pool Math calculator shows I need " non-SWG Minimum: 3 but a Daily Target: 5 to 7." This means shoot to keep 5-7 in the pool, but it can dip down to 3 accounting for the sun, right? I don't want to make any more assumptions about my pool. isn't 7 a bit high in general :)

Stubborn very yellow-green algae that shows up on the shaded side of my pool wall even days after brushing pre-SLAM. If I let it go, it will eventually show up on the sunny walls/floor as well, but always in the shade first. While I've been SLAMming, of course, there's been none at all. Is there a harm to doing the mustard algae if you're not 100% sure? I just had the water RO'ed as well, so I'm starting fresh in many ways, so I'd like to make sure it doesn't come back when I got back to normal FC around 4 or so.

Funny thing, when i run the filter, my FC lowers, when it doesn't run, it stays put (not in sunlight). Normal? I assume it's cause I have algae in the DE (60sqft)? I had backwashed and risned the grids maybe 2 weeks prior to the SLAM. So today, I backwashed, and rinsed off the grids again (what a dirty job), and no green in the DE. Anyway, I recharged the DE and have the pump going fulltime again, so we'll see tomorrow morning how the FC does.
So when you do the overnight FC loss test, the filter should be running the entire night?

Regarding your last question. The important number is the minimum number - 3 ppm. The "target" numbers are a suggestion to reach so that your water will never fall below 3 ppm. My numbers are the same as yours. I will raise my chlorine levels to 6 most evenings. Usually it will only fall 2 points in 24 hours and that's fine because I never go below 3 ppm.

My SLAM is finished after a week, and I did a mustard algae slam for 24 hours which ended about 7 hours ago. Ok, so this morning at 11am I had 23FC and now at 12am I have 17.5FC (Taylor kit, measuring 10ml). My CYA is 30-35. Pump has been running maybe half the day, and for the last 3 hours. It was fairly sunny today, I get maybe 5 hours of direct sun on the pool, give or take. Is it normal I had such a dramatic drop of about 5.5FC in about 11 hours (sun was off my pool by about 5pm)? Seems pretty high, no?
My water was RO'ed about 2 weeks ago. It is crystal clear and 0 CC for almost the entire week of the SLAM. Overnight test passed 2 nights ago with a FC loss of less than 1. I rinsed grids and recharged DE (6 lbs for 60sqft) about 4 days ago. Nothing green in the spent filter material at all.
Next week we're on vacation so I thought I would open up my tablet feeder again for the week, before I figure out the next step (Liquidator, pump, etc). I could use a CYA increase for the summer, no? Especially if I'm losing THAT much FC in one day. :-(
I can't imagine there is a chlorine demand anymore, nothing could've survived that SLAM. I will measure FC in the morning to see the overnight loss and report back. Thanks!

You're going to lose FC at a very fast rate the more your FC is elevated. So at mustard shock level, a huge loss during day is expected. Once you get to your normal target range, your pool will slow down to about a 2-4ppm daily chlorine loss without swimmer load.

Ah, good to know! This morning I didn't get to test the pool till just after 9:45am, after about 2 hours in the sun. At first I forgot to run the pump and got a reading of 14.5FC, but then I ran the filter for 30 minutes and got an FC of 16.5, so I lost only 1FC overnight, which is great and re-confirms that my SLAM is done. And there was much rejoicing.

Would anyone advise using a chlorine remover? I think I should stabilize my chlorine before I leave for vacation this weekend, and I thought if I brought it down to 0 with a chemical, I can raise it up using my chlorine tablet feeder this week to get the right setting before leaving, is this not a good idea?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No on chlorine remover. I'm actually not even sure what you're trying to accomplish. You should never have your FC lower than the minimum for your CYA range. If you're trying to increase CYA fast just put in stabilizer.

Would anyone advise using a chlorine remover? I think I should stabilize my chlorine before I leave for vacation this weekend, and I thought if I brought it down to 0 with a chemical, I can raise it up using my chlorine tablet feeder this week to get the right setting before leaving, is this not a good idea?

Let the FC drift down naturally, it won't take long.

You already have stabilized chlorine. That's what the CYA is in there for.

No on chlorine remover. I'm actually not even sure what you're trying to accomplish. You should never have your FC lower than the minimum for your CYA range. If you're trying to increase CYA fast just put in stabilizer.
I was trying to get the pool in the 3-5 range before I left, and make sure that every day my tab feeder was giving me 3-5 so when I'm gone for a week, I won't return to yellow walls again. By going down with the chlorine remove, I would get to 3-5 sooner than waiting the several days it'll take, since I leave Saturday morning. But if that's not a good option, I'll wait for it to drift down and hope for the best with my tab feeder for the week I'm gone. That would incidentally give me a little more CYA, which is ok. Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!!

The day you leave raise your FC to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], to give you some extra buffer. When we go on vaca it is jugs away the day we leave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.