Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good morning. Crazy storms in IL today!

I am 2 weeks into my SLAM and about there! It’s always slower going when you’re not home during the day.

I did something stupid last night- not the first time actually- and overdosed my slam. Did t realize until I took my final test of the evening and my FC was 19. I added probably an extra 32 oz+. I use a digital scal and never care when I go a little over, but I did a whole extra weigh/dump of my 2lb bucket. 🤦‍♀️.

Anyway, a year or so ago, I thought I read that the extra chlorine was useless and wouldn’t bind to anything- or something like that. I really thought I was at the and of my slam and that the OCLT last night would prove it 😥. Last night I was 19FC 1cc. This morning. 12FC 1 cc. Pool covered overnight and today because of storms.

My CYA didn’t even register on my test when I opened. I left it alone.

As I type all of this though—- I think I’m just feeling dumb for asking.

Good morning. Crazy storms in IL today!

I am 2 weeks into my SLAM and about there! It’s always slower going when you’re not home during the day.

I did something stupid last night- not the first time actually- and overdosed my slam. Did t realize until I took my final test of the evening and my FC was 19. I added probably an extra 32 oz+. I use a digital scal and never care when I go a little over, but I did a whole extra weigh/dump of my 2lb bucket. 🤦‍♀️.

Anyway, a year or so ago, I thought I read that the extra chlorine was useless and wouldn’t bind to anything- or something like that. I really thought I was at the and of my slam and that the OCLT last night would prove it 😥. Last night I was 19FC 1cc. This morning. 12FC 1 cc. Pool covered overnight and today because of storms.

My CYA didn’t even register on my test when I opened. I left it alone.

As I type all of this though—- I think I’m just feeling dumb for asking. But I haven’t been losing overnight like that.
Youre using powdered chlorine for the SLAM?

Sorry- 16oz is a lb. It actually a food scale 😂
Fluid ounces are different from weight ounces.

Your measuring cup in the kitchen doesn't change size based upon if it's filled with flour or lead. A volume cup is a volume cup.

Similarly, weight ounces may be a king size pillow case of feathers or 3 inches of a brick.

That all said, most liquids happen to have a 1 fl oz weight of about 1 oz. So it usually works fairly well to use the kitchen scale to measure fl oz. (Making sure to tare the container)

I use 12.5% liquid. I measure my oz. Sorry- 16oz is a lb. It actually a food scale 😂
Thats waaaay too much effort! No need to be so precise (even with the weight vs fluid ounces issues). I have an easier time as my pool is twice the size but every liquid is eyeballed into close enough quantities.

Of course you’re welcome to do as you like its just my suggestion to make pool life a bit less of a hassle. 😉

Reactions: newdude
Thats waaaay too much effort! No need to be so precise (even with the weight vs fluid ounces issues). I have an easier time as my pool is twice the size but every liquid is eyeballed into close enough quantities.

Of course you’re welcome to do as you like its just my suggestion to make pool life a bit less of a hassle. 😉
It’s not. It’s super easy. It’s digital and accounts for my container. If I need to hit slam I do not want to under treat if I am not adding a whole bottle. And I never go precise anyway. It would hold up to 5 lbs dry but only a bit over 2 lbs liquid.

But back to my original question….

Please follow the SLAM Process. Read the article.
Hey Mike. I’ve read. Nothing is jumping out at me. I have been dosing to slam at least 2-3 times every evening and at least 1-2 times every morning. During the day, I’ve been keeping my cover on to help protect from chlorine loss. I guess maybe I missed adding CYA- I didn’t do that when I started because I knew it would require a higher slam. Most of my slam has been evening and morning. I DID miss adjusting my PH, but I did do that over a week ago while FC was not high.

I have not bothered with OCLT- only in the sense that I am testing in the Am knowing I am going to SLAM again.

Scrub, vacuum every day. Cleaned filter 3 times. Yuck.

Do you see something specifically that I am missing. Please do tell. Pool is looking good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right. I understand.
You cannot successfully slam without CYA. Trust the process. We got you....
Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi

You cannot successfully slam without CYA. Trust the process. We got you....
Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi
I‘be mad two additions of CYA using the sock method. I know this may take a few days to show up. The first was Sunday, and I added more today after a store run. I’ve made the assumption that I was at 20 to start- but no idea because it didn’t register. So- because it’s not testing yet, not as clear, but still can see 30, can I SLAM since CYA is in the water? I’m leaving town Saturday and I need to get to the bottom of this 😥

Yes, assume CYA is 30.
Ok. Ty. I’m full of chem questions tonight. I just tested Alkalinity and it jumped to 190. PH is up because of all my aeration running bubler, waterfall, and laminars. I added water yesterday. Out of curiosity, I wanted to test the alkalinity of my city water. It was 60 now I’ve no idea if that’s normal or high.😂. So, I suppose I better bring this down.