Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
In middle of a SLAM after opening to a green swamp yesterday. The thing that is baffling me is that in last 4ish hours FC has gone up each time I check it :unsure:. It is still green so shouldn't I have lost FC not produced it?

Some background, a lot of the mess on the cover ended up in the pool and I suspect I had ammonia. I was dosing to slam level and 10 mins later FC was reading 0 again with high cc and it smelled awful. I repeated this every 10 minutes for about 50 minutes and FC started to hold so I started measuring and dosing every 2 hours. Looking back I was supposed to be checking every 30 mins so hopefully didn't cause any issue there. Robot has been running pretty much constantly trying to get stuff off floor and cleaning my filter almost every 2 hours (just hosing it off)

Attachments

• SLAM_2021_Day1.jpg
    SLAM_2021_Day1.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SLAM_2021_Day2.jpg
    SLAM_2021_Day2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1
The only way chlorine can go up is if it's added to the pool. Either by manual dosing, a floater, inline chlorinator, or SWG. The other possibilities are incomplete mixing of the water, inconsistent water sampling, or testing error. Make sure the pump is running all the time (except during filter cleaning unless you have a bypass). Make sure water samples are collected about 15-24 inches below the surface, about elbow deep, at the same location every time, away from any returns. Make sure the dropper bottles are held vertically, and barely squeeze the bottle at all - the drop should fall from its own weight, not from being forced off, if that makes sense. Use the SpeedStir if you have it, and make sure to swirl well if not. FC testing is done as soon as the sample turns clear. If you let it sit, it will turn pink again after 30 seconds or so, but that's not the true result.

It looks like you have a fair bit of debris on the floor. Vacuum that up or net it out as soon as you can.

The only way chlorine can go up is if it's added to the pool. Either by manual dosing, a floater, inline chlorinator, or SWG. The other possibilities are incomplete mixing of the water, inconsistent water sampling, or testing error. Make sure the pump is running all the time (except during filter cleaning unless you have a bypass). Make sure water samples are collected about 15-24 inches below the surface, about elbow deep, at the same location every time, away from any returns. Make sure the dropper bottles are held vertically, and barely squeeze the bottle at all - the drop should fall from its own weight, not from being forced off, if that makes sense. Use the SpeedStir if you have it, and make sure to swirl well if not. FC testing is done as soon as the sample turns clear. If you let it sit, it will turn pink again after 30 seconds or so, but that's not the true result.

It looks like you have a fair bit of debris on the floor. Vacuum that up or net it out as soon as you can.
Manual dosing is only way of adding, I am using a speedstir, taking sample from same spot (opposite side and in middle of 2 returns) , and elbow deep.

I need to go get some dishwasher detergent or tsp to do a deep clean of the filter when it gets clogged the return with longer run essentially goes to near 0 flow so maybe it's not mixing or I need to go back to cycling 2 hours with filter 2 without to get it mix throughout.

When testing I can hold the bottle upside down for 30 sec+ and nothing will come out without squeezing pretty hard. There a way to fix that?

Looks like debris should be gone with 1 more run of the robot, should have taken net or manual vac out sooner yesterday

It looks like it was a combo of pool not being fully mixed and old reagants. Let pool run for 2 hours without filter. First test returned higher than slam values (no CL added for 6 hours at that point) 2nd test tried the refills I just bought and finally got a drop in FC.

Reagants I was using were from last fall so thought they would still be good.

When testing I can hold the bottle upside down for 30 sec+ and nothing will come out without squeezing pretty hard. There a way to fix that?
Reagants I was using were from last fall so thought they would still be good.
Sounds perhaps more like a dropper issue, like the dropper was plugged. You should not have to squeeze the FC reagent bottle hard.

Sounds perhaps more like a dropper issue, like the dropper was plugged. You should not have to squeeze the FC reagent bottle hard.
Do the tips come off easily so I could move the reagants from the bottle with the bad dropper into the newer one I started using once it is empty?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.