SLAM, Empty and refill Sand Filter or ???

Greg 2

Jun 30, 2019
Western Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am spending a lot of $$ on chlorine trying to get chemistry right in my pool. The wife is ready to call a pool pro.... Anyway the current info taken minutes ago are FC=0.0 PH=8.0 TA=90 CH=0.0. CYA=60. Background; 29 oz Borax (20 Mule) , 69 oz 10% bleach added 2 days ago--42 oz Baking Soda, 69 oz bleach added 4 days ago---29 oz Borax, 69 oz Bleach 7 days ago. History; This pool was a 'frog pond' when we bought this home last fall. I started in earnest about 5 weeks ago to clean it up/out and get it back into safe condition. I tried to scoop out a huge amount of leaves, twigs, etc for several days, finally fully draining the pool to get it all out. With it empty I got almost all of the stuff out, then I refilled it with well water. [Health dept approved for drinking.] I then ran a cleaner to 'sweep' the bottom to get the rest of the stuff out. Three times I have had to backwash my sand filter due to high pressure. It seems to have stabilized over the last couple of days. BUT, it has a huge appetite for bleach. And the water is cloudy. [Two days ago I put a bag of clarifier in the skimmer, and that cleared the water, for a few hours.] So,.....what should I do now?

I have not done a OCLT per say, but I have tested chlorine late in the evening and discovered it back to 0 in the morning.
I guess that is close enough.

Yup. Drop PH to 7.2 , FC to 24 and slam away!
Check FC, add CL to slam and brush as often as you are able. Every couple of hours if possible to speed things up. Once a day or twice a day isn’t a good recipe.
Good Luck!😀

Reactions: Greg 2
Grump grump. I got the PH back to 7.2 and was ready to SLAM first thing in the morning. Bad news though, a family emergency and have to be gone until Sunday. I hope the pool is not too bad when we get back. The current FC is still about 0.0 and am tempted to dump 4 or 5 gallons of bleach in but with no means of monitoring it while we are gone I suspect all I would be doing was to waste 4 or 5 gallons of bleach. I suspect I will have a good frog pond when I return.

Bring it to SLAM level of 24ppm for your 60 CYA right before you leave. It will help for at least a couple days and it might not get much worse after that before you get back.

Go take care of the fam. We will help you fix the pool when the important stuff is handled.

Reactions: Greg 2
If you think the pressure will build too high while away, then it’s a smart move to turn off the pump.

Well, well. We returned home late last night with clear water in our pool. A [oops-edit--not ph] chlorine check this morning showed -0- on the scale. So, I poured another 3 gallons of 10% into the pool about 2 hours ago. The cl still indicates above the limits of my tester, but that is to be expected. Hourly checks will be made until it stabilizes. Chlorine will be added in 1 gallon increments until it does stabilize. I'm hoping it will stabilize where it is now. Then I can reduce it to where I want it to be. Thanks to mknauss for catching a BIG misprint!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I discovered a leak in the liner and the steps FILLED with algae. I abandoned it until a few days ago. We are now getting either new liner or new AGP in next few weeks. A new thread will be started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.