SLAM - CC stuck at 1ppm

GuRC

May 1, 2017
San Jose CA
Started SLAM'ing 3 nights ago. I'm on my 3rd morning, so I've performed 3 overnight FC loss tests. Water was completely transparent and blue to begin with - no Algae whatsoever - but I had 0 chlorine.

I also had 0 CYA, so I brought it up to 30-40ppm. I brought pH down to 7.3 and TA ended up staying at 90ppm (I'll correct it later). Phosphates are very close to 0. No copper. CH is 300. 24300 gallons pool.

My target has been FC=18 and I've been keeping it >= that, adjusting as needed at AM/PM. Brushing once a day. First night FC got to 22.5 and CC=1.5. Overnight test was 1.5 FC loss, but CC got to 1.0 that morning and hasn't changed so far. Last night, it passed the FC loss test, but CC is still at 1 (no changes whatsoever for 2 days).

Should I keep going? I read there's a clear difference between Inorganic Chloramines (easy to get rid of) and Organic Chloramines (much harder), so I'm assuming that's what's going on here? What are people's recommendations?

Keep your FC at SLAM level for a few more days and see if your CCs come down. It really costs you nothing to keep your FC at SLAM levels at this point for a few more days.

What is the prior history of the chemicals you used? You ever add any Jacks magic or other stuff that has sulfamic acid in it? There are chemicals that cause false CC readings.

Last edited:
Not using a cover and have never used anything with sulfamic acid. I replastered the pool late last year, so water is new.

I'll keep it at SLAM level for a few more days then. It does cost me though, since the pump is running 24/7 and I'm using about a gallon of chlorine / day. :)

Thanks everyone.

It should go away on its own. You don't need to run the pump 24/7. Just make sure that the pump has been on for an hour or so before testing. Brush the pool well and look for and clouding when you brush.

Reactions: GuRC
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.