SLAM and possible broken lateral - HELP!

Geojaneo

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
Blairsville GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Day 3 of Slam process. Current reading

FC 16.5 ( goal 20)
CC 0
CYA. 50
TA. 70
PH. 7.2

Failed AA treatment and could not hold chlorine to minimum so began SLAM 7/28. Slight amounts of sand in pool. Filter backwashed and so nasty cleaned sand. It’s 10 years old so will replace. Assume broken lateral(s) so ordering new ones.

Can this problem affect SLAM? Water has remained clear entire process but losing 4 ppm overnight. Few days to receive and replace laterals. Continue to SLAM? Used 12 gals of bleach so far. Please help!

have Fiber clear - should I add? What about using SWG to aid at this point?

Last edited:
Re: SLAM and possible broken lateral - HELP!

Why are you assuming the laterals are broken? Have you checked the gasket on the multiport valve? Are you sure its sand and not dead algae? Also sand doesn't need replacing unless it is calcified. Sand can be deep cleaned and reused. deep clean sand filter

When cleaning filter sand found black plastic piece less than 1/4 inch. Tried DE recently and pressure would not rise as it did last year. I’ll get in pool and check the debris more carefully. So continue SLAM at this point without SWG ???? Thanks for quick reply!

Day three of SLAM - thought it was sand but it feels like "scum/grease". Is this algae - never seen this color, but finding in skimmer baskets past several days. Also on pool floor and on steps! Smells awful, fyi!

Did a deep clean on filter day b4 yesterday. Still losing about 4 ppm each reading. Posted earlier in this forum and wasn't sure if I needed new post or add to original one - test results posted in other thread.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:  SLAM and possible broken lateral - HELP!

You too! Have to drive 45 miles to get more chlorine, but at least getting a nice steak dinner out of it! :kim: What's a "bubbler"? I grew up in Rhode Island and that is what we called water fountains that you drink out of!

Have you gotten rid of the stuff that was appearing on the steps and on the floor?

That stuff is how my mustard algae looked on my skimmers and steps, but on the floor it looked like light brown to sandy patches, spots and streaks. And...when I would prep my vac hose for vacuuming, that sandy stuff would come out. That stopped once I kept the hose submerged while treating the pool. But, my battle was a long one:(

I hope yours is over:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.