CrossedW

Jun 27, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello- I just discovered the TFP website a few days ago and got right to work. We put in our first pool last year and spent too much time and money at the pool store only to continue to always have problems so I am excited to get on board with TFP!

My question is: we are currently SLAMming due to some algae. We have been pouring in the recommended amounts of liquid chlorine found on the TFP site. We have always had chlorine tablets in the inline feeder (chlorine cartridge). Do we continue to keep them in there and refill when they’re gone during the SLAM process or just take them out and rely only on the liquid chlorine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

Your CYA level would determine whether you want to use the tablets. They can quickly raise levels to the point it can be difficult to manage an algae bloom. Be sure to look at FC/CYA Levels if you haven’t yet.

Tabs are chlorine, cyanuric acid (CYA) and a binder. Tabs dissolve, chlorine is used up by
sun and contaminants, but CYA (which acts as a sunscreen to protect the chlorine and let
it do it’s job) does not leave the water. It builds to the point that the chlorine is ineffective
and you have algae. You may lose some CYA due to splashout, backwash, degradation
etc., but the majority stays in your water. Especially since we, in Texas, don't close our
pools (drain etc.) in the winter like those in the North. Draining is the usual fix btw.

Round your CYA up to the next 10th, so call it 60 and follow the FC/CYA Levels chart.
Most of us keep our FC at the high end of recommended levels. It will give you some
leeway if there is high bather load or other contaminants that could cause chlorine to
drop and start an algae bloom. Test daily until you learn your pool's appetite.

Use liquid chlorine as your sanitizer. Use the tabs in your chlorinator when you are on vacation.
Caveat is that you need to know how much CYA is in your water and the effect of using tabs
while gone. Pool Math is your best friend to help you know what to add and how much is there.

Please fill out your signature (see mine & others) with your pool size, surface type, equipment,
features and test kit. It helps all of us to help you! Welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.