Slam advice...3rd time in 6 weeks...well sort of...

Ok...looking for some encouragement and maybe some tips. Ive been struggling. My husband has been diagnosed with leukemia which has led to long hospital stays on the other side of state..so I have little time for pool. When i was home for 3 days...i noticed a slight cloud of green when i vacuumed signaling algae....my chlorine was at 4ppm...so i was confused...but i started a SLAM.....didnt pass before i had to go back to Hospital for another week. I started chlorine generator again and hoped the chlorine would stay higher while away. Came home and had slight algae dust on bottom which i expected. started another SLAM...hoping to complete it again. This time i really thought i passed all 3 steps...however upon returning home again after another week at hospital ..I get in pool and find a slight algea dust again. I test Chlorine and it is at 5ppm. So here I am again working through my 3rd SLAM Attempt. My CYA is at 70 so im Trying to keep CL level at 28.....but will admit that im not doing a good job...many other things are keeping me from testing often enough ...ive dropped to 18 a couple times...i AM brushing every day.....and Ive cleaned cartidge filter every other day.
im running low on Chlorine with this covid crisis......

im still having large loss of chlorine over night 3.5 ppm and my cc is still at 1....pool is sparkling clear so i feel my drop should be smaller and getting close to done.....but alas...

am i missing something?

finning out of time before next Hospital trip and running out of chlorine!

lisa

Attachments

• 767CBC6C-A443-4B63-B44E-860D36B31EE5.jpeg
    767CBC6C-A443-4B63-B44E-860D36B31EE5.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 39
Lisa, I think you answered your own question. The unfortunate turn of events has not allowed you the time required to maintain the SLAM protocol as required. Life is simply getting in the way, but your husband and home take priority. Naturally the SWG isn't designed to keep-up with SLAM levels, so you are doing the best you can with chlorine and the time/days available. I will say though, from the pic you posted the pool looks fantastic. Still, something is happening to throw the OCLT off. Either the manner in which you are testing, how you are performing the OCLT, or you still have algae.

So, make sure:
- You do your best to maintain the FC of 28 as best as you can 24/7. Pump always on (low is fine).
- Double-check for any areas not brushed or inspected. Leave nothing to chance. If you have a larger light (w/ niche), ideally you want to pull the light out (power off) and clean behind it.
- The pump should already be running for the OCLT.
- Grab your water sample from the same area for each OCLT sample and take your time with the drops. Make sure there is no sun on the water between both tests.

Hang in there!

Reactions: Lisaheidinger
It sounds like you are doing the basics - checking your FC as often as you can and raising back up to 28; brushing the pool; cleaning your filter when the pressure rises by 25%.

Have you looked for places algae can be hiding? Behind lights? In water features?

Show us a full picture of your pool.

Once you pass the 3 exit criteria let's discuss your SWG settings and have you run your FC a few PPM on the high side.

Thanks... the only place could be behind light in wall... but to be honest pool is too cold this week to get the light out!
I was concerned I wasn’t doing test correctly..... lots of drops when SLAM level is 28.... will keep it up till I’m out of chlorine or run out of time again .. thanks for encouragement

Attachments

• B940C033-656A-4427-94B6-84378DFC0458.jpeg
    B940C033-656A-4427-94B6-84378DFC0458.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 7DA979BB-258B-4BFA-A54F-65841EFD58E8.jpeg
    7DA979BB-258B-4BFA-A54F-65841EFD58E8.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 35
  • B113622F-A4E4-4969-8230-99BEF5BB8C0D.jpeg
    B113622F-A4E4-4969-8230-99BEF5BB8C0D.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Texas Splash
You have to make sure the OCLT passes or else the algae will come back.

Since you are having trouble keeping the chlorine level up at the proper level I suggest running the SWG at 100% for the next few days and let the pool run 24/7. Add chlorine when it drops below 28. You can run an OCLT while the SWG is running to see if the chlorine level is going up during the night, BUT it is not a valid test to pass the OCLT. The SWG must be turned off in order to pass the test.

SWG pools can look clear of any algae to the eye, but the OCLT tells the truth.

After you get this cleared up, target the FC level at 7 for the next month or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to make sure the OCLT passes or else the algae will come back.

Since you are having trouble keeping the chlorine level up at the proper level I suggest running the SWG at 100% for the next few days and let the pool run 24/7. Add chlorine when it drops below 28. You can run an OCLT while the SWG is running to see if the chlorine level is going up during the night, BUT it is not a valid test to pass the OCLT. The SWG must be turned off in order to pass the test.

SWG pools can look clear of any algae to the eye, but the OCLT tells the truth.

After you get this cleared up, target the FC level at 7 for the next month or so.

I used 10% liquid chlorine ... I was able to score two 3.5 jugs from pool store
That's good. I wanted to make sure it wasn't some bad bleach that had polymers or additives that might be contributing to FC consumption.

That's good. I wanted to make sure it wasn't some bad bleach that had polymers or additives that might be contributing to FC consumption.
i know better...i usually use bleach with NO additives.....but that was just not available so I hated too....but i went to a pool store.....lol

ok...I tested CL level around 2 pm and raised it back to 28.....and rinsed filter, brushed pool. I was finally able to start over night test at 9:30 pm

CL 25 ppm

at 5:30 am. 24ppm. 0 cc!!

so is that OK. is it ok if the overnight test starts lower than the 28 i was trying to keep it at? Im assuming the loss from 3ppm from 2pm was from sunlight...it was a hot sunny day..

thanks

lisa

You're fine! The water is crystal clear, no CCs, and you didn't lose more than 1 FC from last night to this morning. I think it's time to relax a bit and focus on other things. Just keep an eye on the FC from now on, and if you ever suspect something weird happening with the FC level, do another OCLT. Good work. :goodjob:

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.