Skinnydipper's Backyard

wardsntx said:
Man that is a great backyard...can I ask where you purchased your outdoor kitchen? Did you have it built or was it one of the pre-built models? THANKS!!!

We found it at the LACounty Fair. It was a company called "BBQ Islands Unlimited." At that time they were in Pomona but I think they have since moved, but still in So Ca. We had shopped around and decided this style was way too expensive @ 22k-25k. We came across this company who sells them for 15k. We bit the bullet and got it and now I can't imagine the pool area w/o that. We spend most weekends out there. We have everything we need and only occasionally have to go inside. I love it!

SeanB said:
What an incredible back yard. My wife is jealous of the inground trampoline - nice touch.

I really like the grotto flowing into the spa. It looks like the grass is all new sod. Is it a new home or did you just re-sod the whole yard with the project?

Oh, and if I haven't already said so, wecloome to TFP. Your pool has been added to the slideshow on the homepage. I really had a hard time deciding which one to use, so I picked the one that showed the entire pool with the grotto.

Thanks Sean!

Our home is definately not new! It's almost 30 yrs old. The gas and electrical lines had to run all the way to the other side of the house so the trenches tore up EVERY sprinkler line we had back there. The grass was in pretty poor shape anyways so we just decided to let it all die, redo sprinklers and reroute lines etc, then sod once the pool was done.

DH and I are obsessive DIYers (AKA- really cheap) so the cost wasn't too bad. We have done the trampoline project and all landscaping, including sod in the front yard too, since the dig crew took away the little life the front yard had left. We had to redo our concrete out front also because the bobcat they used collapsed the walkway from so many trips across it. Nothing was heartbreaking, it all needed to be done eventually.

Thanks for adding us to the slideshow!

skinnydipper said:
wardsntx said:
Man that is a great backyard...can I ask where you purchased your outdoor kitchen? Did you have it built or was it one of the pre-built models? THANKS!!!

We found it at the LACounty Fair. It was a company called "BBQ Islands Unlimited." At that time they were in Pomona but I think they have since moved, but still in So Ca. We had shopped around and decided this style was way too expensive @ 22k-25k. We came across this company who sells them for 15k. We bit the bullet and got it and now I can't imagine the pool area w/o that. We spend most weekends out there. We have everything we need and only occasionally have to go inside. I love it!

This is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you mind sharing the name of the company you used?

Many thanks.. Your backyard is just heavenly!

I just googled it and they now have a website. BBQISLANDSUNLIMITED.COM I found them at the LA County Fair and it's almost fair time again if you're in So CA. I am very pleased with them. I had a problem with my ignitor more than a year after buying it and they came out to replace it with no problem at all. I expected to at least buy the part or pay labor or something but they asked for nothing. The quality of the island far surpasses the other companies we looked at. Solid steel frame, no "beer can studs." This is a rare case where the less expensive item is of better quality than it's more expensive competitors. Very Rare!!!

As for the palapa- this guy is up there on it with no problem putting it together!

5z6knzq.jpg

Here's a close up of the tile

4qqujkk.jpg

The layout is nice because it has extra work space in the center because it goes in on each side

52x6nf9.jpg

Good to see you too, Tag. Garden Web is just too slow after that last blow up and it seems like it's the same questions over and over. They need to make the search button a little bigger. I still check in from time to time with GW, but I like that there is so much more over here. We need to bring our GW friends this way. I'll work on Snookums and you can work on Lavenderblues. LOL

skinnydipper said:
Good to see you too, Tag. Garden Web is just too slow after that last blow up and it seems like it's the same questions over and over. They need to make the search button a little bigger. I still check in from time to time with GW, but I like that there is so much more over here. We need to bring our GW friends this way. I'll work on Snookums and you can work on Lavenderblues. LOL

sure - leave me the easy one :-D I'll be the one who gets blamed for bringing him over here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys...I too felt that GW was just plain Blah. I will visit here and there, but this is the place to be!

Skinny...I called your grill place to see if they would ship to Texas...she said she would have to check, but I never heard back. I could only imagine what shipping would be anyway!!!!

That really is a cool setup. You guys probably live out there all summer!

Oooh, Texas is quite a long way for shipping that thing. It would probably be more cost effective to bring a trailer out and drive it home yourself! Then you could just hire a local Palapa guy to come install one, if that's the type of cover you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.