Skinner Basket Broken - Again!

MichelleK

Jul 22, 2020
Nashville
Hey there! We have a new above ground pool with a wide mouth skimmer. The basket has broken 3 times in the last 2.5 weeks. We have a lot of trees and leaves seem to be bogging it down and causing the breaks. We clean it like twice a day and we have a sock. Nothing seems to work. Is there a product or something that can help protect our slimmer basket from breaking all the time? 🤦🏼‍♀️

Welcome to TFP.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

What pump and filter do you have? Post pics of your equipment.

I suspect your pump is too strong and you have too much suction pulling on the plastic basket when the skimmer gets clogged. Putting in a second skimmer would ensure that one skimmer can get clogged and the pump can get water from the other skimmer.

Or you need to clean the skimmer more often and not let it clog.

Last edited:
I would remove the sock and let the skimmer catch the big stuff and the filter catch the small stuff. I know in the spring that when I put a sock in the skimmer basket to capture pine pollen, the skimmer basket is more difficult to remove than usual.

Is it a hydrotools skimmer? I have that one & buy the baskets in bulk on amazon. I cannot use a sock when there’s alot of debris- breaks it every time 😩

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.