Skin irritation

RobertFT

Jun 27, 2020
Phoenix Az
I developed a skin rash after being in my salt water pool yesterday. I took a water sample to the pool store and couldn't find an obvious reason for the problem based on their normal guidelines. Free chlorine 1.2, alkalinity 55, ph 7.8, cya 50. From this forum and pool school I realize I can't trust pool store results and should be looking at different "normal" ranges for the test results. I've ordered a test kit . When received, is there a likely cause for the irritation that I should be looking at first or just start by adjusting CYA , then Chlorine, then alkalinity , then pH as mentioned in the water balance for SWGs article ?

Typical reason for irritation to skin or eyes is CC (combined chloramines) or pH out of range.

With your potentially very low chlorine levels, I would suspect CC.

How long did it take the rash to develop once you got out of the pool?

If it's a chemical problem, the effect is usually fast to develop.

A bacterial infection can take longer to develop. If it was several hours for the problem to develop, that points to a possible bacteria issue.

A full SLAM is indicated.

What test kit did you order?

What does the water look like?

How long did it take the rash to develop once you got out of the pool?

If it's a chemical problem, the effect is usually fast to develop.

A bacterial infection can take longer to develop. If it was several hours for the problem to develop, that points to a possible bacteria issue.

A full SLAM is indicated.

What test kit did you order?

What does the water look like?
the rash (small red spots on the arm ) developed within 30 minutes of getting out of the pool. No itching or blisters and a day later its less red and looks like its going away.

I ordered the taylor k-2006

Water is crystal clear - no color or order.

If you ordered the K2006 without the C -- order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills now or very soon. The basic K2006 has very little reagents for those two test you will use the most.

Once you get the kit, post a full set of test results and begin SLAM.

What is the history of the pool?

Are you new to the house?

What does the water actually look like?

Did anyone else swim and get a rash?

Were the spots only in one location or all over?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.