Skimmer Weir Getting Stuck

pinballmik

Jun 30, 2021
New Jersey
Hi All,

Newb to the site and having some trouble with one of my two skimmers. This is my first season with this pool and the skimmer weir that is closest to the pump keeps getting stuck on the tab at the top of the skimmer throat. The second skimmer is missing the weir and is on my todo list to replace. My best guess is that they are Pentair admiral skimmers. I saw other threads talk about sanding down the sides, but I don't think that would help in this case. I've tried keeping the water level lower and higher, but the weir is jamming in either case. Any thoughts on how to prevent it from getting stuck on top?

Also, I have not been able to remove the weir. I tried laying it down flat and trying to slide it off the pivot tabs, but no luck. Do I just need to give it a little more force? I'm a little nervous about breaking the tabs.

Attachments

• 20210630_185826.jpg
    20210630_185826.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 39
The gate may have warped or the tabs have already broken because it shouldn't be sitting that low. Usually when that happens, it is best to replace the weir gate.

Warping makes sense and would explain how it's getting wedged under that top piece. The tabs feel like they are intact.

As far as removing it to replace it, should I be able to push it off the tabs by hand or would it need something stronger like a rubber hammer? I guess warping changes what 'should' happen and what is needed to actually get it out.

There should be a slide mechanism near eaach tab to move the tabs inward so the wier can be removed.

My pool had no weir doors when I moved in. After I ordered and installed the new ones, they all stuck to either sides or top of skimmer due to warping of the skimmer opening over time. I had to remove all of them and sand a decent amount off of sides and/or top (depending on where they stuck). They were not easy to get out and required a flat blade screwdriver; yes, felt like the tabs would break, but they are surprisingly resilient. I had to be careful not to sand down the doors tab connection site (hinge point?) since it is not very thick to begin with.

I was trying to find the slide mechanism mas985 mentioned for removing the gate and couldn't find it. I then checked my other skimmer where the weir was already missing. I didn't see the slide mechanism, but I think I found the solution to my problem. There was a rubber bumper on the top part where the weir is getting stuck. I moved that over to the jamming weir gate and its been jam free! Got a new bumper coming as well. Looks like Pentair added two zeros on the part number (85016600).

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Attachments

• 20210705_171020.jpg
    20210705_171020.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: mas985
The slide mechanism is usually in the weir door, not the skimmer. But there are different designs. Sometimes it is just a moveable pin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.