Skimmer versus Vacuum run time

Jeremy,

I don't think any of the new robots even use bags anymore??? Plus Maytronics is just doing the standard CYA stuff in the manual. Just from a logical approach why in the world would you have a weekly timer if you had to take it out of the pool each day??

Plus.. I don't read Instructions or manuals, it just makes me confused... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeremy,

I don't think any of the new robots even use bags anymore??? Plus Maytronics is just doing the standard CYA stuff in the manual. Just from a logical approach why in the world would you have a weekly timer if you had to take it out of the pool each day??

Plus.. I don't read Instructions or manuals, it just makes me confused... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think you are probably right. Truth be told, I am a bit of a nerd and perfectionist when it comes to following the manufacturer's directions and it really bugs me when they put things like that in manuals when there is no practical way to follow it. I get that is the world we live in, lawyers tell them they have to do it, but it still bothers me. I mean, if it's OK to leave it in the water, then don't tell us not to leave it in the water. It's the fact that people put things in manuals that they don't mean and everybody knows is bull that makes it so nobody wants to read them because they are basically useless...OK, I will come down off my soap box now. haha

Jeremy,

Well to give them some credit.. the longer you leave it in the pool, the more the chlorine and sunlight will fade the color and I suppose it will have some effects over the years..

Those pool owners who take it out, store it in the shade, and out of the weather might increase its lifespan. But, I did not buy my Robot to look at, I bought it to use.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeremy,

Well to give them some credit.. the longer you leave it in the pool, the more the chlorine and sunlight will fade the color and I suppose it will have some effects over the years..

Those pool owners who take it out, store it in the shade, and out of the weather might increase its lifespan. But, I did not buy my Robot to look at, I bought it to use.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I hear that. I would add too that if it takes a year off it's life and it only lasts 8 years instead of 9, or whatever, I would still leave it in the pool. I mean, if someone came to me and said they would pay me $100 total to load and unload their robot for them everyday for the next 9 years I would not do it. If my math is right, that is essentially what someone is agree to when they load and unload it everyday, assuming it only adds 1 year onto say a 9 year life and assuming it cost $900, that's $100/year and you would only be making it last 1 year longer. So you have to ask, would you be willing to load and unload it everyday for 3,285 days in order to earn $100??? I think one would be insane if they answered yes to that question, right?

It's all about warranty deniability.

I've never owned one, but my instinct about them is a robot will clean better than a vac. That seems obvious. And it'll brush, too. That's big. My dealio:

1. I don't like the idea of the cord laying on the deck.

2. I don't like the idea of having to monitor how much dirt/leaves have been collected.

3. I don't like the idea of having to empty the thing out periodically.

4. I already bought, and so now own, a vac!! (Before I even knew anything about robots.)

For the entire off season (about six months, unfortunately) I don't have to think about how my pool gets cleaned. Nothing to check on or empty or put in or out of the water Nada. And from the house I can't really see the vac's hose (a robot's cord would bug me).

I've yet to clean my filter cartridges, so whatever is getting to the filter via the vac is not causing me significant extra work. I do have to clean the pump basket, so there's that. But I don't have to haul out a 50lb robot to do that. More importantly, I can glance at my pump basket and know to empty it or not. I don't have to wonder if it's full or not, or drag the vac out to determine that.

So for now, the Rebel fits...

I wasn't really joking about the charging garage. The technology already exists (cordless, finding the pool, finding the garage, etc). The challenge would be how the thing would get in and out of the pool. A ramp? A second component that drives the robot around on the deck, and can hydraulically lower it into the retrieve it from the water? A garage built into the side of the pool? Some sort of spider legs that can walk up steps?

All that would be needed would be for Pentair (or some big player) to sponsor a few episodes, maybe a season, of Robot Wars, call it Robot Wars Marine or something, and let those nerds figure it out!:splash:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.